Skype For Business not showing HTML in conversations on Android RRS feed

• Question

• I have built a SfB bot (ucma 5) that has some use cases that require being able to format data into html tables.   We have the POC up and running and now I am trying to figure out why some bot messages are displayed but others are not when interacting with it via the SfB Android app.  When the bot responds with a message that includes <html> in the text (for example, it’s response to “hello”), no message is displayed by the android app (even though the bot has sent the message according to the app).  When I say hello to it on the desktop client, I can see the bot’s response. Other bot messages that I coded that don't include HTML are in fact displayed by the android app.

When I was building the bot in a lab environment I recall having to install a version of Office on my lab desktop in order to see the html sent by the bot.

I am wondering if you know of any settings on the SfB server end that might be prohibiting or blocking <html> tags from being sent to mobile clients (specifically on Android 4.4 & up), or is it strictly a client issue?  If it is a client issue, how can we resolve the problem? 

Edit:

That got me thinking about the object type that is being sent.  Right now all messages that contain html are created as System.Net.Mime.ContentType("text/html")));  So I am thinking the problem may lie with that type of content not being able to be displayed on a mobile (maybe the SfB mobile client doesn’t know how to read in that type of content?).  I am trying to think about how I could test that.  I am considering setting up a browser based Android emulator, downloading SfB and seeing if the same problem persists (Assuming a modern browser can read System.Net.Mime content).  I also can change the text to a different content type that is not System.Net.Mime, since that library is for building emails.  If you have any thoughts please, shout them out!

Thanks,
    Josh

• Edited by JoshuaForYou Wednesday, November 9, 2016 7:45 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Welcome to our forum.

By this test in iPhone and Android, when we send message to user whose account login in iPhone or Android, the message will be changed into TXT format, it is by design. 

However, I could not find any documents to modify it, thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:37 AM
  • Thanks for the response but that does not answer my question.  

I've got the bot application set up to send certain messages as text/html and some as text/plain.  Only the text/plain messages are displayed by the mobile phone SfB client application, but both types are displayed by the SfB desktop client.  I'm wondering if the issue is with the type of client receiving the message or if there is a setting somewhere in SfB Server that needs to be modified so that text/html can be displayed on mobile phones. 
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:27 PM
  • Hi Josh,

As I am concerned, there are no settings on SFB server about it, so we suggest you post this case to Skype for business forum because SFB bot is a developed application, thanks for your understanding and support.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=SfB 

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Sunday, November 20, 2016 4:35 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 7:11 AM