none
Open Older Files RRS feed

• Question

• I recently discovered Project 2007 will not open files saved in a previous version. I no longer have the old version because I upgraded. How can I open the old MPP files?
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Look at this site for instructions.  You will probably have to download the converter and then you shouldn't have a problem.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/opening-project-mpp-files-from-different-versions-HA001045020.aspx

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com

Saturday, March 31, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Patscheck,

From time to time someone posts a message that they have legacy Project files (i.e. Project 97) they wish to open in current versions. If that is what you have, let us know. I can open them for you.

John

Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:30 PM
  •  This should not be a problem between 2003 and 2007 but it does occur with versions previous to 2003.  You may also want to look at the security settings to see if you have legacy file formats allowed.  In Project 2007 this is under TOOLS>OPTIONS>Security tab>"Legacy Formats".

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:50 PM
  • I recently discovered Project 2007 will not open files saved in a previous version. I no longer have the old version because I upgraded. How can I open the old MPP files?

All the later versions of Project can open files from the file format of earlier versions, Project 98 being the earliest.This is the backward compatibility feature of Project. If you have files with format earlier than Project 98, John has already offered help. I can try to help as well.  I've prepared a short FAQ on compatibility here at http://bit.ly/H6f0TL. You may find some useful info there.

Regards.

Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:04 AM
  • Hi John, I have a couple of old MS Project files from the 90s I'd like to bring forward (I am guessing Project 95).  If you are still willing to do conversions, how do I get them to you?

Thanks

Harry

teddybobmarley-zip at yahoo dot ca

Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:13 PM
  • HarryAF,

I contact you directly using the e-mail you posted. I'm assuming the "-zip" is part of the address. I will ask some questions. If you don't get something from me in a few hours, post back.

John

Sunday, April 15, 2012 4:25 PM
  • John:
    Saw this post. I've just received some files that are probably older than Project 98. Are you still willing to open and save in a current version?

I have 2007.  These files were generated using Project 4.0  :)

Terry Gonda

terrygonda @ hotmail.com
    • Edited by Terry Gonda Friday, October 19, 2012 5:02 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Terry,

Yes I can. I sent an e-mail to the address you listed.

John

Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:29 AM
  • Hi John,

I have an MPP file likely pre Project 98 that I cannot open using MSP 2003.

Can you convert this file for me?

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Mick Taylor 7 Friday, October 4, 2013 6:27 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Mick,

Yes, as long as the files aren't too large (i.e. no larger than 1M) and you only have a few of them (5 or fewer). You can contact me at the address below. Zip the files before you send them. I will ask some questions. Note: if the files are Project 95/7 (i.e. pre-Project 98) and contain macros, the macros will not be ported over in the translation.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter, not a number)

• Proposed as answer by Mick Taylor 7 Friday, October 4, 2013 6:28 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:42 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the assistance - much appreciated.

Friday, October 4, 2013 5:49 PM
  • Mick,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, October 4, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Hi John,

I just sent you a note to above address with my MS Project file from the 90s. I believe this is pre Project 98

I wonder if you can translate this to a version at least readable in Project 2010?

Thanks

jonathanwpeter

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 9:10 PM
  • Jonathan,

I received your file, converted it and sent it back as Project 2010 version. Hopefully this was helpful.

John

Thursday, November 7, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Extremely helpful,

Many thanks John!

Friday, November 8, 2013 12:45 AM
  • I have a work file from MS project which is pre-1998. Is it possible you can still open this? I really would appreciate this. Thanks
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:30 PM
  • James,

Yes, as long as the total file size is 1M or less (mail server limitation), send it to the encoded e-mail address I listed in one of my previous posts. I will ask some questions.

John

Thursday, January 9, 2014 3:58 PM
  • John - I have a super old (1997?) project file I need to open.  Might I please send to you to open?
    Monday, August 28, 2017 8:16 PM
  • JoeyJohnsen,

As long as the file isn't corrupt I should be able to open it using Project 98 and then update it from there. What version of Project are you currently using? Note, if the old file has macros I won't be able to preserve those as the VBA structure changed from Project 1997 to Project 98.

John

jmacprojataticlouddotdotcom

(remove obvious redundancies)

Monday, August 28, 2017 8:22 PM