POSReady: Searching for the executable for the On Screen Keyboard (Touch screen keyboard) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm searching for the executable for the Touch Screen Keyboard at POSReady. At WePOS it was called osk.exe. But I can't find somethink like that at POSReady.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The onscreen keyboard isn't installed by default but luckily a new feature in POSReady will allow you to add it easily.  With the Setup media in the drive, go to the Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove windows Components, Accessories and Utilities, and select Accessibility Tools.  This should install it.  For new installs, this can be added during Setup also.

Alternatively, the Tablet PC keyboard located in near the bottom of the Windows Components list. This has a more updated feel designed more for touch screens.

Hope this helps.
    Brendan
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Unfortunately the Tablet Keyboard is there just to help with logging on and isn't available on the desktop.  The reasoning was that POS systems would integrate their own keypads within the POS software and if autologon (or custom GINA) was not used, the Tablet PC keyboard would help them through the logon screen.  Sorry for misleading you down the path of the Tablet PC route, I thought it could work for both until I double checked.

If you're setting up a system without an attached keyboard, you'll probably need both; osk for the desktop and the tablet pc one for the logon screen.

Brendan
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The onscreen keyboard isn't installed by default but luckily a new feature in POSReady will allow you to add it easily.  With the Setup media in the drive, go to the Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove windows Components, Accessories and Utilities, and select Accessibility Tools.  This should install it.  For new installs, this can be added during Setup also.

Alternatively, the Tablet PC keyboard located in near the bottom of the Windows Components list. This has a more updated feel designed more for touch screens.

Hope this helps.
    Brendan
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Hi Brendan,

thanks for that information! Now I do have the "old style" osk. I thought that the "Touch screen keyboard" component I've selected during the installation is the new osk. But you talked about that "tablet pc keyboard". I think that is the component "Touch screen keyboard". But where can I find that in the installed system? I can see it at the logon and the logoff. But I can't find that in the startmenu or in the system directory.

Thanks
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:32 AM
  • Unfortunately the Tablet Keyboard is there just to help with logging on and isn't available on the desktop.  The reasoning was that POS systems would integrate their own keypads within the POS software and if autologon (or custom GINA) was not used, the Tablet PC keyboard would help them through the logon screen.  Sorry for misleading you down the path of the Tablet PC route, I thought it could work for both until I double checked.

If you're setting up a system without an attached keyboard, you'll probably need both; osk for the desktop and the tablet pc one for the logon screen.

Brendan
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:02 PM