Really Dissapointed with Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am absolutely stunned at the fact that there is no access to Local Users and Groups in Vista Home Premium! I am a Network Professional in charge of 20 servers and 700 desktops and sadly I have purchased a Sony Vaio with this operating system on it. I use Microsoft Outlook (full vrsion not web) from home on to my organisations Exchange Server and one of the tricks of the trade to save you constantly having to give your password is to name your workgroup the same as your domain and then set your username and password the same as your domain account - no chance with Vista!!!!!!! Microsoft you have really missed the boat here - so much so that I am installing 80 new PC's in the summer and all with have XP on them, because quite frankly Vista from a Network Manager;s viewpoint stinks. Try browsing a network with Vista  ( surprise Microsoft - us network guys use shares all over the shop) and it takes over 5 minutes to come up with all of your network computers - XP is virtually instant!!!  What is going on?  I suspect I am not alone and you deserve the crticism you are getting over Vista. I am now going to see if my new Sony Vaio still supports XP and will reload that operating system as it works. I really cannot believe how bad Vista is and I routinely recommend my staff to stear clear of it.

Also before you think I am an Apple fan, my network is 100% Microsoft with a full  Select agreement for all of your Office, Workstaion and Desktop software

Truly dissapointed with a poor product

Steve Dunlin

Network Manager

Saturday, May 3, 2008 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

First of all, please understand that Windows Vista Home Premium is designed for home user rather than enterprise user. Thus, I recommend that you choose Ultimate, Business or Enterprise Edition in business environment. For more information, please refer to the following link:

Windows Vista Editions Overview

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx

In fact, you can manage the local user using the User Accounts tool in Control Panel on Windows Vista Home Premium.

Regarding the network browse issue, we need to collect more information to analyze it. Please let me know if you would like to troubleshoot the issue here, I am glad to be of assistance. In addition, you may also contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for instant support, the support professionals there are better qualified for the performance issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

First of all, please understand that Windows Vista Home Premium is designed for home user rather than enterprise user. Thus, I recommend that you choose Ultimate, Business or Enterprise Edition in business environment. For more information, please refer to the following link:

Windows Vista Editions Overview

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/default.mspx

In fact, you can manage the local user using the User Accounts tool in Control Panel on Windows Vista Home Premium.

Regarding the network browse issue, we need to collect more information to analyze it. Please let me know if you would like to troubleshoot the issue here, I am glad to be of assistance. In addition, you may also contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for instant support, the support professionals there are better qualified for the performance issue.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Monday, May 5, 2008 7:12 AM
  • I have a new Sony Vaio with Vista Ultimate. I have a flkickering problem with the autohide taskbar. I have talked to Sony and Microsoft on ten different occasions with no resolution. Finally I reached a third level tech at Sony after Microsoft told me that because the Unit is new and the Software came installed on the unit I would have to get the support from Sony. This is after four techs tried at Microsoft and couldn't get results. The Third level tech at Sony, in so many words told me that there was no fix for this and I would have to live with it until Microsoft found a way to put out a fix. At one point the tech told me that it was supposed to do this because this was the way I knew the software was working in the background. I felt like I was talking to a used car salesman.\

I have done all the things everyone has told me to do, but with no results. A Microsoft Home Server member contacted me and told me there was a fix in Power Pack 1 Beta but it was only for servers. It wouldn't even load on my laptop. I have another Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Premium, I run the same software on it and the same USB external Hard Drive and external Blu-Ray Burner. I have no flickering with it. The Tech at Sony told me that the only thing I might do is to buy a retali copy of Vista Home Premium and downgrade my Vista Ultimate in the Sony Vaio and correct the problem.  I guess I can take comfort in the fact that Sony is closing my case as "Unresolved". 

Friday, July 4, 2008 5:51 PM