Unable to get GPU/hardware rendering working RDS 2012R2 with IE11 RRS feed

• Question

• Issue: within a RDS session to a 2012R2 RDS host, IE11 doesn't use the hardware GPU for graphics rendering. When using Google Chrome graphics rendering is done by the GPU fine (very much smoother with much less CPU load)

I've enabled the policy option 'Use the hardware default graphics adapter for all Remote Desktop Services sessions' to be able to make use of the GPU.

I've tested this behavior in two environments:

- Fully updated WS2012R2 with RDS role installed. Running as VM on a ESXi 6.0 host with NVIDIA GRID K1. vGPU (K140q profile) added to this VM. Installed latest NVIDIA drivers.

- Clean installed WS2012R2 without RDS role installed. Running as VM on a XenServer 7.0 host with Intel Iris Pro 580 GPU passed through to the WS2012R2 VM. Latest Intel drivers installed.

When using IE11 from a 'console session' (e.g. uVNC ) graphics rendering is being done by hardware. It seems IE refused to use GPU when running within a RDS session.

The option 'Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering' isn't enabled (of course ;) )

Any idea how to get working this?

• Edited by ASG_1977 Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:01 AM
    Thursday, October 6, 2016 7:41 AM

Answers

• Thanks Tao,

I already saw the mentioned support/technet articles you mentioned. Unfortunately it doesn't solve or describe my problems.

I've installed a WS2016 RDS server and with that version the issue has been solved. So I think using hardware graphics accelerating from IE on WS2012R2 isn't supported. However, I wasn't able to find a official MS statement about it.

Friday, October 7, 2016 7:20 AM

All replies