none
script method to determine if equal precedence is set? RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know of a script (non-GUI) method to determine if Equal Precedence is set on a particular attribute?

Thanks.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you speak PowerShell, you can get what you are looking for from the FIM Attribute Flow Precedence Viewer.

Cheers,
    Markus

Markus Vilcinskas, Knowledge Engineer, Microsoft Corporation

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but ugh! 

That may be a method of discovering Precendence, but I'm not skilled enough to break it all down.  I speak PowerShell, but I am constantly reminded that I speak it like a 2-year-old.  Also at a minumum, I also need to speak XSLT and do a lot of translation of the Precedence Viewer files to recode something that gives a simpler response.  Is there no more compact/direct method? 

It also looks like I can only run it from the server handling the FIM synchronization service or at least have remote powershell access to that server and run svrexport.exe.  Is this true?  Is there no way to discover the Flow Type of an attribute as a non-server-admin?

I guess I'm thinking too pie-in-the-sky.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:09 PM
  • I have posted How to Use PowerShell to Display the Attribute Flow Precedence Of An Attribute to make things hopefully a bit simpler for you.
    To get to the required data, you need to either get the drop file from a svrexport or you need an export from the FIM web service.

In the current example, I have used the svrexport method again because this implementation also works in environments that don't have the FIM portal deployed.

Cheers,
    Markus

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:45 PM
  • Wow!  Thanks.  I didn't expect a whole wiki article just for me!  :)

This process is much more straightforward, but I am wondering... Does the svrexport-xml-file-method have any advantages over an export from the FIM web service (assuming the FIM portal is deployed)? 

I am not running (and don't believe I can access on the server) the FIMSynchronizationService, so the svrexport method is not so useful to me.  However, I am exporting from the FIM web service (I think we are speaking the same language -- the cmdlt is called "Export-FIMConfig") on a workstation using the FIMAutomation snapin.  If I can use Export-FIMConfig to get the information I need, can you give me an idea of what parameter/filter string I need for the -customconfig switch?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Yes, we are speaking the same language, you can use the migration cmdlets of the FIM service to get to the data as well.
    Using a svrexport is as good as using the cmdlet - it is fully up to your personal preferences.

I have added another script that is based on the cmdlet to the ScriptBox article.

Happy testing...

Cheers,
    Markus

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Awesome!

I am not able to find the Metaverse object yet, but it's nice to see that this is possible from a workstation other than the FIM server.  It's definately less complicated than the svrexport method.

Where did the $maData variable come from?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Good catch - $maData was a copy leftover.

I have removed it.

Cheers,
    Markus  

Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:09 PM