Steadystate - IE7 remember password? RRS feed

• Question

• I set up a public access computer with Windows Steadystate on it.  It is for a library and I want the public profile to remember certain passwords to research sites (lexis).  Is there anyway for a locked down public profile to remember passwords?  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

-asterling
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:23 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Asterling, I have checked this on one of my restricted user and it can save its username and password if I choose to enable AutoComplete when I access the certain site. Therefore, I suggest we perform the following steps to re-enable this function in IE:

1. Close Internet Explorer.

2. Click on Start, Run… , type regedit (you will need to have administrator rights to edit the registry)

3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\Storage2

4. In the left window pane, select the Storage2 key, then from the menu, select File/Export and save the key to your Desktop with the File Name: oldstorage.reg

5. In the right window pane select all values (except for Default) then press Delete and select Yes to confirm value delete. Minimize Regedit.

6. Open Internet Explorer and visit the web site whose password you want to save. When Internet Explorer asks if it should remember your password, answer Yes

7. Logout of site and close Internet Explorer

8. Return to Regedit and press F5 to refresh the list. Now, select the Storage2 key, then from the menu, select File / Export and save the key to your Desktop with the File Name: newstorage.reg

9. Select the Storage2 key again, then from the menu, select File/Import and select the oldstorage.reg file (from the Desktop), and click Open to merge the data back into the registry. Click OK to acknowledge merge was successful.

10. Select the Storage2 key again, then from the menu, select File/Import and select the newstorage.reg file (from the Desktop), and click Open to merge the data back into the registry. Click OK to acknowledge merge was successful.

11. Close regedit.

Another KB article can also be helpful on this issue:

How to disable Internet Explorer password caching

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229940/en-us

Hope this helps!

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:42 AM