none
Windows 7 SP1 installation with NVMe hotfixes stalls in Virtual Machine

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 7 64 Ultimate SP1 integrated with hotfixes 2990941 & 3087873 on to a VMWare Virtual Machine where Virtual HDD within VMWare controller is set as NVMe. The host OS is Windows 7 64 SP1 on which VMWare  is running. This is all simulation, there's no real NVMe drive installed on host.

However with hotfixes integrated the setup stalls at Starting Windows logo.

If HDD controller is set as SATA, it installs Windows fine, however I wanted to test it using NVMe controllers in VMWare.

I believe I have correctly integrated the two hotfixes using methods suggested at ThisLink

The Windows 10 ISO installs fine with Virtual NVMe controllers. However the issue only comes with Windows 7 64 SP1 with above mentioned hotfixes.

Has anyone else faced similar issue, what could be a possible solution?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:22 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 does not have the stornvme driver and it is somewhat convoluted to fix the installation package.  You have to use DISM and the boot.wim from Windows 10 to rebuild the Win 7 package.  It's more trouble than it's worth.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Thanks for your input. After including Boot.wim from Windows 10 it appeared as if it worked for a moment. 

During installation it detected the Virtual NVMe drive and copied files on to it. However upon the usual restart during Windows 7  installation when it came back to Starting Windows, it again stalled there endlessly.

It seems somehow hotfixes 2990941 & 3087873 do not work well in VMWare. They might work on real hardware most likely. As of now I don't have real hardware to test though.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:23 PM
  • Yeah, I think you should install the NVMe device,please refer to

https://tinkertry.com/how-to-configure-vmdirectpath-pass-through-of-nvme-on-esxi-6-5-update-1

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:17 AM