Baseline scheduling RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy

Nice work on SCM!

Hey, could you provide some scheduling info regarding the anticipated availability of new baselines, please?

Reason being, we need to be able to convey to the business an anticipated date that we can roll out a new product.

For example, although we've seen plenty of previews of the new Office products, realistically we can't implement it until we also have a baseline, and we have time to test our mods from that baseline. Without knowing what your schedule is likely to be on the baseline, we are unable to provide a guess on when we'll be ready to implement it.

The downside is that without being able to provide any answer, the business just pushes back with, "well, we need it now, then." And that means that we'll implement security after the product is already in production. And that never goes well.

Note that I'm not asking for an exact date. But surely you have a sense of what your process timing will be for a given new product. A target month would be great. A quarter would be ok. Something is better than nothing.

Please?

(And if you're already doing this and I'm just too ignorant to know that, pardon me. And please update me!)

Monday, October 1, 2012 5:04 PM

Answers

• Gregorski;

Thanks for your note. We're not able to discuss the potential schedule for future product baselines in much detail because our plans might need to change. I can tell you what we're working on right now, the details are already posted on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site715/ . You have to sign into Connect and join our project to see the information. In short, we just released the Beta of SCM 3.0 with new baselines for Windows 8, Internet Explorer 10, and Windows Server 2012. We'll be posting a 2nd beta soon with additional baselines for Windows Server 2012, and the final release soon after that. Plans for guidance and baselines for Office 2013 and other products are being created.

Hope this helps,

Kurt

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

• Marked as answer by Kurt Dillard Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:04 PM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 7:04 PM