none
DPM 2010 and Bare Metal Restore with Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Does DPM 2010 support a bare metal backup and restore with Windows 7. I do not even get an option to backup the system state on a Windows 7 machine.
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM 2010 / 2012 only supports BMR / SystemState backup for Windows Servers not desktop operating systems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2010 / 2012 only supports BMR / SystemState backup for Windows Servers not desktop operating systems.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Does DPM 2010 support a bare metal backup and restore with Windows 7. I do not even get an option to backup the system state on a Windows 7 machine.

Hi Lostcause,

It is true DPM does not support system state protection of desktop operating system, but here is an alternative method that you could try.

http://www.buchatech.com/2011/12/backing-up-system-state-of-windows-7-with-dpm/

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:10 AM