MDT 2013 Update 1 - XCOPY is failing on *.ini files. RRS feed

• Question

• Prior to upgrading to MDT 2013 Update 1, I was able to use XCOPY in a task sequence to copy files with .ini extensions. Now, it just hangs and I have to use task manager to kill xcopy in order for it to continue. 
    Friday, October 23, 2015 8:41 PM

Answers

• Dan, I really appreciate your help and work on making that! I was able to get xcopy working by using the cmd /c, but had to quote it.

cmd /c "xcopy.exe "%DEPLOYROOT%\Applications\SAP\saplogon.ini" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP" /Q /E /I /Y"

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Friday, October 23, 2015 10:28 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 9:46 PM

All replies

• Can you post BDD.log?

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Friday, October 23, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Thanks for the response! I probably should have specified that there is no failure or mention of it in the BDD.log. It just hangs at the copy step and I think when I finally kill XCOPY for it to continue, it checks it as a success to run the command.

In the task sequence, it is running a command line that is: "xcopy.exe "%DEPLOYROOT%\Applications\SAP\saplogon.ini" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP" /Q /E /I /Y

Nothing changed in the task sequence from when it was working other than the upgrade to 2013 Update 1. 

Friday, October 23, 2015 8:58 PM
  • try adding cmd /c at the beginning of that command.

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Friday, October 23, 2015 9:08 PM
  • Unfortunately it has the exact same results when adding cmd /c to the beginning. 
    • Marked as answer by lunarpowered Friday, October 23, 2015 9:47 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ty Glander Friday, October 23, 2015 10:27 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Nothing changed in the task sequence from when it was working other than the upgrade to 2013 Update 1. 

Except for breaking batch files.
    https://keithga.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/mdt-uberbug05-batch-scripting-is-dead/

I've converted nearly everything into either powershell or vbscript wrappers.

If you used a vbscript (.wsf) wrapper you would use a line like

oFSO.CopyFile oUtility.ScriptDir & "\saplogon.ini", oENV("ProgramFiles(x86)") & "\SAP\", True

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Friday, October 23, 2015 10:27 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Full code

<job id="SAP configuration">
    <script language="VBScript" src="..\..\scripts\ZTIUtility.vbs"/>
    <script language="VBScript"> 

'//----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '// Purpose: Used to apply SAP configuration file
    '// Usage: cscript SAPCONFIG.wsf [/debug:true]
    '// Version: 1.0 - October 23, 2015 - Daniel Vega: Initial script

'// Global constant and variable declarations

Option Explicit 

Dim iRetVal 

'// End declarations

'// Main routine

On Error Resume Next
    iRetVal = ZTIProcess
    ProcessResults iRetVal
    On Error Goto 0 

'//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '//
    '// Function: ZTIProcess()
    '//
    '// Input: None
    '// 
    '// Return: Success - 0
    '// Failure - non-zero
    '//
    '// Purpose: Perform main ZTI processing
    '// 
    '//---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Function ZTIProcess() 

oLogging.CreateEntry "SAP Configuration: Applying Configuration", LogTypeInfo	

' Disable Zone Checks
    	oEnv("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS") = 1 

' Copy configuration file
    	oFSO.CopyFile oUtility.ScriptDir & "\saplogon.ini", oENV("ProgramFiles(x86)") & "\SAP\", True

' Enable Zone Checks
    	oEnv.Remove("SEE_MASK_NOZONECHECKS")

oLogging.CreateEntry "SAP Configuration: Finished applying configuration", LogTypeInfo	

End Function 

</script>
    </job>

Friday, October 23, 2015 9:35 PM
  • Dan, I really appreciate your help and work on making that! I was able to get xcopy working by using the cmd /c, but had to quote it.

cmd /c "xcopy.exe "%DEPLOYROOT%\Applications\SAP\saplogon.ini" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP" /Q /E /I /Y"

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Friday, October 23, 2015 10:28 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 9:46 PM
  • You still might want to consider using wrappers since you can script them to provide logs, but glad you got it working.

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:02 PM