none
ADFS 3.0 and ADFS 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using ADFS 3.0 in our organisation, but one of our customers has Windows 2008 R2.

We have only tested ADFS 3.0 with another ADFS 3.0. I was wondering if a deployment with ADFS 3.0 and our end, and ADFS 2.0 at the customer's end would work?

Regards,

P.

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Depends upon if you are going to use features which are present in ADFS 3.0 and not in ADFS 2.0, otherwise there should not be any difference from protocol aspect.

I have used ADFS 2.0 with ADFS 3.0 clients and vice-versa, depends upon what your application is going to do or what features in ADFS 3.0 it would use which is not present in ADFS 2.0.

From Protocol standpoint of SAML 2.0 or Ws-fed there is no difference

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Thanks!

Is there some documentation on MSDN (or TechNet) that outlines the features in ADFS 3.0 which are not backwards compatible with ADFS 2.0?

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:45 PM
  • Hi,
    Please refer to the similar thread as below for reference:
    ADFS 2.0 compatibility with ADFS 3.0
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/45b579ca-ba3b-49e6-8cbd-285516de6cc3/adfs-20-compatibility-with-adfs-30?forum=winserverDS
    In addition, since the issue relates to ADFS, I would still suggest you post the question in ADFS forum.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=ADFS
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by pmdci Friday, October 7, 2016 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 3:20 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for that. I have posted the question on the ADFS forum here as suggested.

Regards,

P.

Friday, October 7, 2016 2:41 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 10, 2016 1:28 AM