none
Question about recovering data using DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I am new to technet and DPM client 2010, just a quick question :)

I have a Win7 Professional PC with a DPM 2010 client installed on the computer. I am currently having system protection disabled at the moment (I am running out of space on my computer and slowly sorting stuff out so that I can get some free space). My DPM server back up data from my computer twice a day, 10am and 6pm.

When I wanted to recover one of the files from the DPM manager, I saw this message (circled in Red below)

I understand after I click on the magnifying glass, click on the recovery point link OPEN... and browse toC-VOL>Users>My Profile name>Desktop etc, I can copy the files and folder I would like to recover onto my Desktop.

I was wondering if there is also another way to recover files using the DPM 2010 client (please refer to the above image, the part circled in red). Can anyone share what the above message means and how it is related to using DPM 2010 to recover data? Just curious, thank you!

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:31 AM

All replies

• What you circled in red is a method to restore previous version of data.

This method is based on the shadow copies also used by DPM. That's why you can restore data from DPM using that method (right-click a file/folder and select recover previous versions".

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, can I clarify with you, 

Being new to DPM client 2010, from what I understand, each time when a sync happened between a DPM client and server, it backs up data to the DPM server. I noticed there is a Recovery Point schedule on the DPM client, will this function create a previous version of files and folders on the local computer or on the DPM server? Please correct me if I am wrong here :)

When i right clicked on my folder Work files (which is located locally on my computer) , go to Restore Previous Version, right clicked on the folder I would like to recover and selected Properties,  I noticed that the previous version is stored locally on the computer. (please refer to the image below, the file location is circled in red).

What i have tested in sequence: 

1. Disabled system protection, deleted all restore points and reenabled system protection again.

2. The files and folder lose its previous version copies of the files.

3. Sync computer with DPM server.

4Browsed to my Work Folder located locally on my desktop, I right clicked, select Restore Previous version, the folder version list is empty, does the DPM client 2010 create previous versions of the files / folders and store them on the computer or on the DPM server? Is it also possible if I deleted my recovery points on my computer, once I sync with the DPM Server, the folder version list comes back and I can recover files from there?

I understand the DPM server has backup versions of the files and folders (At Recover data browse to C-VOL>Users>My Profile name>Desktop , my Work Folder and its files are there)

:) Thank you for your time

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Hi,

DPM keeps recovery points on the DPM Server and also makes local shadow copies (so you can see previous versions) using the same schedule as DPM recovery points.

Everytime a synchronization is done by the DPMRA agent, it contacts the DPM server and gets the most recent configuration information which includes the recovery point time(s) and updates the ClientProtectionDetails.xml file on the client.  This file contains the snapshot schedule.  

<RecoveryPointSchedule xmlns="1020,1380</RecoveryPointSchedule">http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/IMCatalog.xsd">1020,1380</RecoveryPointSchedule>

The numbers 1020, 1380 are minutes after midnight in UTC time based in the clients timezone.  So 1020 / 60 = 17hr and 1380 / 60 = 23hr.  (That is 12:00pm and 6:00PM CDT)

The DPMClientService service creates loca snapshots based on the XML entry.  To determine when we are taking local snapshots look in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp

\DPMClientProtectionCurr.errlog and search for DLSClientProtection.

You will see the times and which Volumes we make shadow copies for based on the data you asked DPM to protect. 

Example. 

0774 1980 04/26 23:02:05.423 33 dlsclientprotection.cpp(1083) [0000000000337110]  NORMAL DLSClientProtection: Adding volume for snapshot : (b:\)
    0774 1980 04/26 23:02:05.445 33 dlsclientprotection.cpp(1083) [0000000000337110]  NORMAL DLSClientProtection: Adding volume for snapshot : (c:\)
    0774 1980 04/26 23:02:05.455 33 dlsclientprotection.cpp(1083) [0000000000337110]  NORMAL DLSClientProtection: Adding volume for snapshot : (f:\)

VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS should show shadowcopy set around that same time.

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {17a1e441-674f-4065-b5b5-de305ef08af8}
        Contained 3 shadow copies at creation time: 4/26/2012 6:02:08 PM
           Shadow Copy ID: {366f35be-b252-4087-b042-bfb9ae22359c}
              Original Volume: (B:)\\?\Volume{c8d8cd08-c8b6-11de-8261-806e6f6e6963}\
              Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2198
              Originating Machine: Machine_name.Domain.com
              Service Machine: Machine_name.Domain.com
              Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
              Type: ClientAccessibleWriters
              Attributes: Persistent, Client-accessible, No auto release, Differential

Shadow Copy ID: {9b0d0139-d0dd-4634-a5b3-0284c62638e3}
              Original Volume: (F:)\\?\Volume{c8d8cd05-c8b6-11de-8261-806e6f6e6963}\
              Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy2200
              Originating Machine: Machine_name.Domain.com
              Service Machine: Machine_name.Domain.com
              Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
              Type: ClientAccessibleWriters
              Attributes: Persistent, Client-accessible, No auto release, Differential

Hope this helps you.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:27 AM