S4B online integration with Exchange 2010 on premise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

we have a customer that is looking to move to S4B online but continue to have Exchange 2010 on premise only.  My question is does there need to be a hybrid configuration between Exchange 2010 on premise and Exchange online for this?

I was under the impression that if a user is on S4B (on premise) they can integrate with Exchange (on Premise) or Exchange (online) but if they are using S4B (online) then they must also be using Exchange (online) too.

I came across this article https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj945633.aspx which appears to indicate it can be done as long as there is no requirement for UM services etc.

Please can you help me clarify as I have not come across this one before as generally the first workload in the cloud is Exchange where as this is the opposite situation i.e. S4B in the cloud first.

Cheers

D

• Edited by Dazzler1971 Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• Going your way is not recommended, since many features wont be supported(ref link from RAM). If they are not important for you, then its no problem. Just make everyone clear about it first, so it doesn't come as surprise.

ADFS/DirSync/AADC must be in place before you go hybrid. Exchange does not need to be in hybrid config.

Does customer have this in place already?

Single sign on is also recommended for Mobile clients, or users will have to enter login server manually.

I would convince your customer to have the above requirements in place first, then go Exchange Online and SFB online in the end.

Also be aware that Advanced enterprise voice (Response groups)is not supported in SFB online.

As always, find out customers requirement before do any form of migration.

We have done the opposite. When Exchange Online and kept SFB on premise. Reason for this is SFB is instant and cannot have downtime, while exchange can be down for 30 min without users noticing. If SFB is down, users will notice it within 3 seconds.

You also save a lot of disk space by going online with Exchange. Offcourse it has its limits to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Saturday, May 21, 2016 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:56 PM

All replies

• Going your way is not recommended, since many features wont be supported(ref link from RAM). If they are not important for you, then its no problem. Just make everyone clear about it first, so it doesn't come as surprise.

ADFS/DirSync/AADC must be in place before you go hybrid. Exchange does not need to be in hybrid config.

Does customer have this in place already?

Single sign on is also recommended for Mobile clients, or users will have to enter login server manually.

I would convince your customer to have the above requirements in place first, then go Exchange Online and SFB online in the end.

Also be aware that Advanced enterprise voice (Response groups)is not supported in SFB online.

As always, find out customers requirement before do any form of migration.

We have done the opposite. When Exchange Online and kept SFB on premise. Reason for this is SFB is instant and cannot have downtime, while exchange can be down for 30 min without users noticing. If SFB is down, users will notice it within 3 seconds.

You also save a lot of disk space by going online with Exchange. Offcourse it has its limits to: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/exchange-online-limits.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Eason Huang Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Eason Huang Saturday, May 21, 2016 8:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

It is supported to integration Skype for Business Online with Exchange On-Premises environment.

You can refer to the following link to configure the related settings:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/kb/2614242

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:05 AM