install bids 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• My goal is that I want to install  business intelligence studio (BIDS) 2008 on my workstation since I do not seem to have that item.

To accomplish this goal, I am wondering if you can answer the following questions for me:

1. If adding BIDs 2008 is part of my visual studio 2008 environment, can you tell me how to access that part of visual studio?

2. If question 1 is not true, can you tell me the locations of where I can find the install for BIDS 2008? Is this part of sql server 2008, and/or part of visual studio 2008?

3. I am wondering if I should delete any of the following items that are already installed on my workstation since there would be compatibility problems:

a. sql server 2008,

b. sql server 2010,

c. visual studio 2010,

d. visual studio 2008.

Monday, September 30, 2013 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    If you open a BIDS 2008 project using Visual Studio 2010, VS 2010 will ask you to convert it (upgrade it). Install Visual Studio 2008 to open BIDS 2008 projects, if you don’t want to convert them to VS 2010.

Install SQL Server 2008 (the editions I mentioned on my first post) and select “Business Intelligence Development Studio” on the “Feature Selection” page of SQL Server setup. Once installed, run BIDS from the Start Menu -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Proposed as answer by Candy_Zhou Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Candy_Zhou Friday, October 11, 2013 9:18 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) 2008 is part of SQL Server 2008(Enterprise, Standard, Developer Edition).

SQL Server 2010 does not exist.

Please read the following article about BIDS and Visual Studio 2010. Please read the information section of the article too.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983332

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, September 30, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Thank you very much for your answer, however I have the following additional questions:

1. The project was not updated to a newer version of visual studio. Thus do you have any other suggestions?

2. I read the resolution of the article you pointed to which stated the following, "

To resolve the issue in which you cannot open the project in SQL Server BIDS after you upgrade the project, follow these steps:
    1. Create a new project that has the same name as the original BI project in a different directory by using SQL Server BIDS.
    2. Add all relevant project items from the upgraded BI project folder. For example, for an Analysis Services  project, add the .ds and .dsv files. For a Reporting Services project,  add the .rds and .rdl files.
    3. Save and then open the new BI project."

On the part of the statement that says the following: Create a new project that has the same name as the original BI project in a different directory by using SQL Server BIDS."

How do I get into SQl Server Bids? Do I log onto reporting services? If so, what are the steps after logging on to reporting services? If not, get into SQl Server Bids?

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Hello,
    If you open a BIDS 2008 project using Visual Studio 2010, VS 2010 will ask you to convert it (upgrade it). Install Visual Studio 2008 to open BIDS 2008 projects, if you don’t want to convert them to VS 2010.

Install SQL Server 2008 (the editions I mentioned on my first post) and select “Business Intelligence Development Studio” on the “Feature Selection” page of SQL Server setup. Once installed, run BIDS from the Start Menu -> Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Candy_Zhou Friday, October 11, 2013 9:18 AM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Thanks for this reply!

Since I already have sql server 2008 installed on my laptop, can I just add BIDs to the install from the sql server 2008 installation file? If so, how would I add the BIDS to the existing install? Would I do a 'repair' on the sql server current installation?

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Hello Wendy,

Just restart the installer from SQL Server Installation medium like for a new installation and select "Add feature to existing instance", then select under "Installation feature" => "Shared Components" the feature "Business Intelligence Developer Studio"

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 5:05 PM
  • This option should basically work? If so, I will try it?
    Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hello,

Please go ahead and try it. If the installation BIDS fail, just let us know.
    Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:10 PM