Question about FOPE domain redirection. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a domain name that is constantly misspelled.  We also own the misspelled domain names.  What I would like to do is setup some type of rule in FOPE so that if it receives a misspelled email address, it fowards it to the correct domain spelling for that user.  For example the email comes into addressed to mike@domian.com and I want to forward it to mike@domain.com.    If I do it this way, I don't have to configure exchange to work with the misspelled domain, and setup SMTP aliases for all the users.

I have looked into the redirect rules, but have not been able to figure out how to forward without setting up a forward for each user.  Can someone help with the setup so that any email that comes to [USER]@misspelleddomain.com goes to [USER]@correctdomain.com?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hello Mike,

As informed the misspelled domain names are been owneed by you (means access to DNS Entries for that domains)

Well  we can try to add the mispelled domains to FOPE Admin Center, point there MX values to FOPE. Now we have original domain name and misspelled domains in FOPE where there MX records are also pointing to FOPE.

The next step would be we can add the actual domain names Mail Server Ip addresses in the Misspelled Domain names Mail Server address. Thus if an email is been addressed to mike@domian.com the mail will reach FOPE referencing the MX record for domian.com and after perfroming the basic filtering will try to deliver it on the Server responsible to accept emails for domain.com.

On the On premise Server we need to make sure that the misspelled domain is been added in the accepted domains list (Authoritative) so that the Transport Server wil accpet emails and process it accordingly. The next step would be the user mike should have all the misspelled email addresses mentioned as secondary email addresses  in AD so that when Exchange will go for a lookup will resolve the Mailbox for that user object.

Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:40 PM
  • Mike what Pradeep suggests is correct but double check with our licensing rep.  Since you are not added any users (just aliases) you shouldn't have to pay more.  In my other thread I was advised to pay for licenses for users I don't have (I have 429 mailboxes but the dirsynch pulls in every SMTP object bringing the total to 535.  I was advised in the forum to purchase additional to cover the 535).

So truly, call your licensing rep to make sure you don't get a doubled bill to cover the misspelled domain name.

Monday, July 9, 2012 1:38 AM