locked
SCCM client upgrade form 2007 to 2012 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All;

    I have implemented SCCM 2012 SP1 in an environment where is SCCM 2007 is also implemented. I needed to upgrade the clients by simply pushing it using "install client" option form SCCM 2012:

    1. If I push to a device that does not have the SCCM 2007 client it goes smooth and takes only couple of minutes for the client to download installation files and install the client.

    2. If I push to a device that has the SCCM 2007 client installed, it is taking hours and hours to download the files.

    What am I missing or doing wrong here?

    Thanks in advance

    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:09 PM

Answers

  • Ok finally found where the problem is:

    I found there was a local policy on the client to limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS to 20 kbs, and this was because SCCM 2007 had the BITS configured to allow only 20kbs and only during throttling window. Once I disabled the local policy everything worked fine and normal, 2 minutes to download and install. The next step would be disabling that BITS setting on the SCCM 2007, so the client upgrades will get going, and then configure BITS on the client settings on 2012 if needed. Hope this helps if someone come across the same issue.


    • Marked as answer by vernext Friday, March 29, 2013 3:52 AM
    • Edited by vernext Friday, March 29, 2013 4:09 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 3:51 AM

All replies

  • Don't know. Have you troubleshot the process at all? Does the client finally install? Is it just a matter of the client not flipping to client = Yes in the console. Have you examined ccm.log on the site server? Have you examined ccmsetup.log on the client?

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Yes I have examined both logs, see below a sample of what I see on the ccmsetup log, and this is been going for hours.. I'll have to wait and see if the client will get installed after finishing the download, but I am trying to figure out why it's taking this long. Like I mentioned , manual installs or pushing to new clients take only couple of minutes

    [Download Update: 21294411 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:01:38.147+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 21937288 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:06:38.164+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 22580327 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:11:38.181+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 23223560 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:16:38.182+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 23868120 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:21:38.199+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 24512349 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:26:38.216+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">
    <![LOG[Download Update: 25156671 out of 82008048 bytes transferred.]LOG]!><time="08:31:38.233+300" date="03-27-2013" component="ccmsetup" context="" type="1" thread="7816" file="ccmsetup.cpp:6462">

    Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:18 PM
  • Its clear that the issue is with the download.

    Please check these logs on the client side

    ContentTransferManager.log

    DataTransferService.log

    Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Ok finally found where the problem is:

    I found there was a local policy on the client to limit the maximum network bandwidth for BITS to 20 kbs, and this was because SCCM 2007 had the BITS configured to allow only 20kbs and only during throttling window. Once I disabled the local policy everything worked fine and normal, 2 minutes to download and install. The next step would be disabling that BITS setting on the SCCM 2007, so the client upgrades will get going, and then configure BITS on the client settings on 2012 if needed. Hope this helps if someone come across the same issue.


    • Marked as answer by vernext Friday, March 29, 2013 3:52 AM
    • Edited by vernext Friday, March 29, 2013 4:09 AM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 3:51 AM