none
Windows Hello greyed out if login to Domain Account but enabled if login locally RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 E Domain Joined Build 1607 Hello greyed out if login to Domain Account but enabled if login locally.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, I'm noticing the same thing here.

We don't have any GPOs that restrict these settings either.

I wonder if it's because of the new merger of Hello and Passport in 1607....

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1607?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• Edited by Chris_Peters Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:28 PM Image addition
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 12:26 PM
  • Hi KrazyKize,

Please verify whether the following gpo has been applied.
    Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Microsoft Passport for work -> Use Microsoft Passport for Work
    If it has been applied, please remove it. Ensure the PIN hasn`t been disabled, either. Run "gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html" to check all the gpo.

Here is a similar case for reference:
    Unable to Set Pin for Windows Hello
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f78d255-ab6a-4706-8d2d-052cc40c4e66/unable-to-set-pin-for-windows-hello?forum=win10itprosecurity

Bes regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, August 5, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi KrazyKize,

Please verify whether the following gpo has been applied.
    Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Microsoft Passport for work -> Use Microsoft Passport for Work
    If it has been applied, please remove it. Ensure the PIN hasn`t been disabled, either. Run "gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html" to check all the gpo.

Here is a similar case for reference:
    Unable to Set Pin for Windows Hello
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4f78d255-ab6a-4706-8d2d-052cc40c4e66/unable-to-set-pin-for-windows-hello?forum=win10itprosecurity

Bes regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Hi,

I made several tests during the Insider releases.
    I finally installed a virtual lab with a DC without configuring a single GPO.

I added a Windows 10 (1511) in this domain and PIN was available in Settings.
    I then added a Windows 10 (1607) and PIN was greyed.

Just do the test...

PIN should be available by default in Windows 10 in a Domain... That was a Windows 8 restriction.

Gerald

Friday, August 5, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Hi Gerald, thanks for the insight. I am still having problems with Windows Hello. Same situation as most. I installed a clean version of Windows 10 1607 and after connecting to my domain the hello option is greyed out but works fine on the local windows 10 account. I an running Server Essentials 2012 as my server solution. I have tried all of the suggestions to no avail. Is the answer in modifying the server side? up to this point I have been editing the group policy on the windows 10 machine per the suggestions here. It's frustrating having something work fine before an update and then stop after. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:50 PM
  • So, it seems that another user found the last problem here

Have a look at William Bracken solution for his Surface Book.
    Some GPO MUST not be configured and my reg key is needed...

Gerald

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 2:34 AM
  • Hi all,

I've submitted a premier support call with Microsoft. I'll update this as soon as I hear back from them.

Matt

Matt Smith

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:57 PM
  • Any update Matt?
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Any update on this would be great.  I am getting this issue with Insider build 14959.
    Friday, November 4, 2016 7:59 PM
  • I had the same issue. After playing around with Local Group Policy and much searching on the internet I figured out how to fix this issue. Go into RegEdit and add this line:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

"AllowDomainPINLogon" = dword:00000001

Strangely, we can't turn on fingerprint access without turning on PIN access.
    • Proposed as answer by GaryBauer Wednesday, November 1, 2017 11:59 PM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:51 PM
  • I had the same issue. After playing around with Local Group Policy and much searching on the internet I figured out how to fix this issue. Go into RegEdit and add this line:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System

"AllowDomainPINLogon" = dword:00000001

Strangely, we can't turn on fingerprint access without turning on PIN access.
    This got my PIN working, and even confirmed that domain requires Hello to be set.
    Monday, August 6, 2018 4:47 PM