none
GPO to set wallpaper to all desktops on Win 7 & Win 10 PC's

Question

• HI,

I have created two GPO's to change the desktop images on all PC's (two because of the differences for location of bginfo)

I want to deploy this to certain OU's as they don't want the image to go onto all the servers. I was told that changes in User Configuration had to be set at Domain Level thus then changing everything. Is this correct?

Sorry for the basic question but been thrown in the deep end and need to deploy it this week.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 4:13 PM

Answers

• The information you were given was false, changes in User Configuration do *not* need to be set at Domain Level in order to take effect.  GPO changes need to be set a the OU-level where the users actually reside (just ensure Loopback processing is not enabled). 

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by Goldie147 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:10 PM

All replies

• The information you were given was false, changes in User Configuration do *not* need to be set at Domain Level in order to take effect.  GPO changes need to be set a the OU-level where the users actually reside (just ensure Loopback processing is not enabled). 

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Marked as answer by Goldie147 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:26 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Thanks, isn't it disabled automatically
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:32 PM
  • ok I can see why it may have to be set at domain level now as I look at AD or why it may have been done this way in the past.

Basically what we have is the our domain, under that is the OU User Accounts and Computers (within this there are various other OU's).

So I need to set the GPO at User Accounts level? For over 5000 users is it best to do it via the template? I was thinking this may cause congestion with the image being copied all at the same time of day. Would it be best to create a batch file to copy the file onto a public folder. We have many machines that have many users logging on.

Thanks again.....

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

The Group Policy processing order is Local Group Policy object -> Site -> Domain -> Organizational units. You cannot set the GPO at User Accounts level.

Regarding your concern, it is necessary to worry about. If you have thousands of computers in your network and they are logged on around same time (let’s say 9AM in the morning), and if the wallpaper size is 0.5MB, you are unnecessarily putting a huge amount of stress on your network (several gigabytes of bandwidth in this example case), and each time a computer is rebooted, it will pull the GPO and use network resource to render the image over your network. So, NEVER, EVER use UNC path to set desktop wallpaper.

In my opinion, I suggest you creating two group policy objects in order to set a default wallpaper/desktop background image and what I think a ‘good’ way of accomplishing the task. My GPOs will:

1. Copy the wallpaper from network share to local computer
    2. Set the wallpaper saved in the local machine as desktop background

First, make a copy of the wallpaper in your network share. Then make sure your domain computers have permission to work with this file. This is very crucial and most common reasons why this GPO might not work.

IMPORTANT: After sharing the file in your network drive, right click and select ‘Properties’. Go to ‘Security’ tab. Click Edit. Click Add. Type in “Domain Computers” and check name just to be sure. Click OK. And now all your domain computers have permission to handle this file. I usually allow ‘Full Control’ to domain computers but feel free to adjust it as per your preference.

Hope the above information is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:58 AM
  • Thank you Alvin. OK get most what you say and have written a script to copy the file to the local machine. I can then link this to the OU's where the computers are as this is a computer configuration setting. I still do not fully understand how to go about where to link the setting to change the wallpaper as this is a user setting. User accounts and Computers are on the same level, if I needed to incorporate both then I would need to do this at domain level which isn't what we wanted. Although if no other way then this is what I will have to do.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

You might want to read the below thread:

GPO to Set Wallpaper per Computer instead of per User

http://serverfault.com/questions/632839/gpo-to-set-wallpaper-per-computer-instead-of-per-user

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:50 AM