none
DPM 2012 r2 doesn't delete volume on disk after "stopping protection" and later "removing inactve protection". RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have upgraded from dpm 2010 to dpm 2012 to sp1 to R2.  All went well and protection has continued fine.

I have made quite a few changes in my network lately which has made me change protection strategies.  I have "stopped protection" of multiple members and "retained the data" for a few weeks in case I needed to make a recovery.  Now that I have determined I don't need some of these "inactive" replica, I have "removed inactive protection".  When I do this, the replica does not show up in the protection tab under "inactive protection" anymore, but DPM is not deleting the volumes and is not making the disk space available like it used to in dpm 2007 and dpm 2010.  how do I get DPM to delete the unused volumes [previously used for replica and recovery points] and give me back the much needed disk space?

Thank You,

Rob

Sunday, January 5, 2014 3:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

That is correct, getting free space back in the DPM Storage pool from co-located data sources is not easy since they share common replica and recovery point volumes.  Removing a co-locate data source and choosing to remove the replica will only remove the Directory on the replica for that data source.  No pruning can be done at all on the recovery point volume because the recovery points are for ALL co-located data sources on the shared recovery point volume. The only hope of regaining space is to remove ALL co-located data sources from protection that share the same replica and choose to delete the replica volume.  That will indeed delete the replica and recovery point volume.

To help you identify what co-located data sources share the same replica volume, you can run this DPM power shell command.  Be sure to enter the correct protection group friendly name.

All co-located data sources that are on the same replicapath (Volume GUID) would need to be removed from protection before that replica and recovery point volume can be deleted.

$pg = get-protectiongroup (&hostname) | ? { $_.friendlyname -eq 'protectiongroup_name'}
    get-datasource $pg  | sort-object -property replicapath | ft replicapath, name, diskallocation -AutoSize

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:37 PM

All replies

• After further review, I have manually checked every volume in disk manager and they all belong to a protected member except for one pair.  I had removed one member and added it back to another group, so now there is a "post-recovery operations" job running.  when it is done, I am hoping to get some disk space back.  I am wondering if my issue above is happening because the data was co-located?  maybe you don't get your space back after removing protection of a co-located member?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rob 

Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Hi,

That is correct, getting free space back in the DPM Storage pool from co-located data sources is not easy since they share common replica and recovery point volumes.  Removing a co-locate data source and choosing to remove the replica will only remove the Directory on the replica for that data source.  No pruning can be done at all on the recovery point volume because the recovery points are for ALL co-located data sources on the shared recovery point volume. The only hope of regaining space is to remove ALL co-located data sources from protection that share the same replica and choose to delete the replica volume.  That will indeed delete the replica and recovery point volume.

To help you identify what co-located data sources share the same replica volume, you can run this DPM power shell command.  Be sure to enter the correct protection group friendly name.

All co-located data sources that are on the same replicapath (Volume GUID) would need to be removed from protection before that replica and recovery point volume can be deleted.

$pg = get-protectiongroup (&hostname) | ? { $_.friendlyname -eq 'protectiongroup_name'}
    get-datasource $pg  | sort-object -property replicapath | ft replicapath, name, diskallocation -AutoSize

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your time!  that is exactly what I did.  I deleted all of my protected VM's, which gave me back over 3 TB's of space and reprotected them using only 1 TB.  I of course lost all of my recovery points but i needed the ability to maneuver.  I did not use colocation when I reprotected and I did a much better job of sizing this time around.

All is good.

thanks again

Rob

Sunday, January 5, 2014 9:13 PM