how do i get into my windows media player when i can't get my windows program to validate? RRS feed

• Question

• i was given my computer. it already had windows xp home version on it. i had an update downloaded for my windows media player to update to windows media player 11. now i can't get into my media player because it won't validate. no matter what i can afford to do, which isn't much, i can't get my version of windows xp to validate. so how do i get my media player to open w/o having to validate my version of windows? it has music on it that i can't replace :(
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:11 AM

All replies

• As far as I know you must complete the validation in order to gain access to your computer.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:14 PM
  • but i can't finish the validation process because it keeps telling me that it failed to validate. so how do i get around that?
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:17 AM
  • You cannot get around it.  Does the validation give you any options?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:15 PM
  • You must get it to validate in order to use Windows Media Player 11.  There is no way to get around validation.

Follow the instructions in KB916247 to determine why your Windows XP will not validate.

KB916247 "Windows Genuine Advantage does not validate a copy of Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916247

Use Internet Explorer and go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/

then if your Windows XP is genuine Microsoft product and it still fails to validate, most likely the Windows Genuine Advantage file under "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data\data.dat" is corrupted.

In that case, follow the instructions in KB926333 to fix it.

KB926333 "Windows XP-based computers might be marked as non-genuine when incorrect or corrupted data.dat file is present"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926333

Try the instructions under "Automated steps to update the WGA Data.dat file on a single computer" FIRST.

If the automated steps do not work, try the instructions under "Manual steps to update the WGA Data.dat file on a single computer".  One clarification:  the instructions for the manual steps refers to the folder "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data" ==> In most cases, that simply means "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data"

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:04 PM
  • to tnguyenooa, i tried the 1st website that you suggested and i was told that

The product key used to activate Windows on your PC is not a valid Microsoft product key. Not to worry, we can help you with that. but all the suggestions are not something that i can afford to do since i am on a very limited budget or don't have access to a printer. is there any other way to go about it or not?

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:06 AM