KB3159706: Is it still needed on 2012 R2 WSUS servers in order to deploy Windows 10 Feature Updates? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WSUS 4.0 on my 2012 R2 vm for over a year, no issues with synching and pushing out updates to Win7, 10, 2008, etc. clients. We have about 25 Win10 clients, all but 3 running 1803, and I'd like to start using WSUS to push out 1809. Based on some of the reading, in order to install the Win10 feature updates (I'll call them upgrades), it looks like KB3159706 is needed plus some manual stuff. I tried to install KB3159706 on my server and I got a message that it isn't applicable (it is not installed). I have the necessary prereqs of 2919335 from April 2014. I don't have kb3148812 but that doesn't appear to be required.

Is KB3159706 and the manual steps even needed any longer in order for WSUS 4.0 to deploy the upgrades? I can't tell if some past took care of the need for this. As a test I approved the 1809 upgrade to a test group I created, there is 1 Win10 machine in there and it is version 1709. The 1709 client has checked in but does not say it needs it.

Jason

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

It is a pleasure to answer your question.

This discussion thread may contain what you want to know:
    KB3095113 and KB3159706 - Not Applicable to System
    The key content is these:

1. According to Steve Henry's comment, KB3159706 has been rolled into the CU chain for Server 2012 & Server 2012 R2.

2. The KB3159706 Support article also mentions the recommended installation of the latest monthly summary.

3. These steps still require attention. Before enabling upgrade classification, running the following commands is a necessary step:
      >  "C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing
      (case sensitive, assume "C" as the system volume)

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Jason,

Did you have a look at the similar thread below? Maybe the replies there could be helpful.

Is it neccesary to Installi WSUS patch KB3159706?

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Hey, thanks for the quick response. I did not see that specific post. However, I saw others similar to that with the same type of responses....1 person saying it was part of a later CU and then someone else saying it was still required. So, that is why I posted. I've been following the article below and it indicates the process is still required. Anyway, I guess if I can push the update to my 1709 client then it works.

https://www.ajtek.ca/wsus/how-to-setup-manage-and-maintain-wsus-part-3-windows-as-a-service-waas-and-group-policy-administrative-templates/

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:18 PM
  • Hi Jack,

It is a pleasure to answer your question.

This discussion thread may contain what you want to know:
    KB3095113 and KB3159706 - Not Applicable to System
    The key content is these:

1. According to Steve Henry's comment, KB3159706 has been rolled into the CU chain for Server 2012 & Server 2012 R2.

2. The KB3159706 Support article also mentions the recommended installation of the latest monthly summary.

3. These steps still require attention. Before enabling upgrade classification, running the following commands is a necessary step:
      >  "C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools\wsusutil.exe" postinstall /servicing
      (case sensitive, assume "C" as the system volume)

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 5:13 AM