HELP! XP Home Edition Taken Hostage By Group Policy! RRS feed

• Question

•  I have pretty much concluded that at some point over the last calendar year that my desktop originally running XP Home Edition has been hacked/altered to XP Pro or possibly Vista. On one occasion when I booted using a recovery software program, it listed Vista as the OS currently loaded on the C:/ drive. Amonst many other suspicious indicators, I have found data entries in reference to Group Policy preventing me as the local Admin. from making certain changes. i just attemoted to download the resource kit for windows server 2003 in hopes of finally liberating my PC from this nightmare to no avail...seems now my PC cannot complete said download due an error that the server has been reset. Note: I dint have any problems downloading several other files from microsoft as of last night. I amby no means tech savvy or properly trained to procede too much further, but I am hardheaded and am in it to to the end, come what may! Any suggestion? Btw, I am relaying this post from a different desktop for obvious reasons. Thank you. Also, I have just learn that Home is not usually equipped stock with RDP functioning nor Terminal Services invoked...well my machine has both running smoothly.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• Time to retire that old PC and get a new one with a substantially more secure Windows 7 preinstalled.  Here are some good choices: New Desktop PCs

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:02 PM