Need help with Desktop Window Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded to Windows Vista Home Premium and I downloaded DeskScape and I am trying to set my background to an animated one but it is telling me that my Desktop Window Manager is not running. I have went to my cmd box and made sure that it is started which it is but it still tells me that DWM is not working. Can someone please help me?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:14 AM

Answers

• Crystal

Open Administrative Tools / Services.

Make sure that the 'Desktop Window Manager Session Manager' service is set to start 'Automatically'. Reboot the computer and try the DeskScapes program again.

If the problem repeats, the most likely cause would be that the graphics card does not support the animated wallpaper.

Do you have the Aero display scheme turned on? If the system is not able to use the Aero component, then it will not be able to display animated wallpaper.

Go to Start, right click Computer and select Properties.  After the window populates the information, click the 'Windows Experience Index'.

In the resulting window, the 'Graphics' and 'Gaming Graphics' scores should be above 2.0.

If the scores are above 2, go to the manufacturers website for the installed graphics card and check for updated drivers.

Let us know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:13 PM