Windows 7 boot problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys. need some help with my windows 7 home premium 64 bit which is laded on a Dell inspiron 545. After updates were being made automatically after shutdown, i tried to boot up my PC and found that it had a stat up error. The problem is that it loads to the window login back ground with no icons or options, only the cursor. This occurs with all other boot up options (i.e safe mode, repairs, etc.) I bought the laptop directly from Dell and had no CD that came with it. Repairs do not work and diagnostic says that there is nothing wrong with my hardware. I tried using a repair disk iso twice that was downloaded. The firs iso helped me get to the repair options, but i wasn't allowed to choose a OS and so system restore does not work. The repair also fails. I do not have a system image and not sure how to use anything else. The next iso allowed me to choose a OS but does not allow me to move pass the language selection. I have been told to install windows 7 again. I am not sure if this will erase my data and would not appreciate that option if it did. In addition it would be a 32 bit. Can anyone help!!!!
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:09 AM

Answers

• Start the computer and press F8 after the Dell BIOS screen.  Be patient for it show. If you miss it, shut down from log-in screen and try to catch it again. That will take you to the repair menu. Try a Start-up repair first. If that doesn't work then perform a system restore. Choose a restore point just prior to the updates\problem.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:44 PM