Success with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I have sequenced Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro with 4.5 on Windows XP SP3.  I used a Volume License key.  I used the Adobe Custom Install Wizard to create a transform to turn off some of the less desireable features.  I am not seeing any issues.  I thought I read that there are issues with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro on App-V related to FlexNet.  Has anyone else had success.  Is there something I need to check to make sure it's working OK?  Is using the VL the solution?

I did nothing special like installing FlexNet locally before sequencing like others mention.

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:19 PM

Answers

• Argh, wrote this long post and clicked somewhere, and it was all lost...
    Anyways...
    Aaron Parker has a pretty good writeup of the issues and travels he made;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/softgrid-sequencing-adobe-acrobat-8-%e2%80%93-the-story-so-far

Regarding the flexnet issues that many discuss (not specific with acrobat) and that didn't exist in v8 as it used a different licensing-technology is dealt with here;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/addressing-licensing-issues-with-adobe-cs3-apps-on-softgrid

Now, the actual post doesn't have the solution - but in the comments is a pretty good explanation and solution-suggestion for it.
    The problem is not the actual flexnet-service  but rather that virtualization allows two instances to exist on the same machine. This would cause issues when you are running two softwares or in a TS-environment, but running a single software on a single machine is not an issue.

Now to finish this off, here comes Aarons final conclusion as to what isn't working;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/more-on-softgrid-and-adobe-acrobat

Well, basically you loose integration with all other softwares. The printer driver doesn't work. The distiller behaves really bad.
    Now, the first one I mentioned - I could live without. The second one, I don't care about as usually we deploy a PDF-printer on a global-basis anyways.
    The third one is a feature not commonly requested - but if needed this would cause me not to virtualize Acrobat.
    (currently fighting with the same issues as Aaron had on both v8 and v9 in a TS-environment)

/Znack 
    • Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, June 21, 2009 7:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:30 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Hello,

If you have a sequenced Office version, then you could create a depency between the two and thus allowing the integration. (this wasn't possible when blog was written).

Sequencing drivers is not possible.

Aaron talks about extracting the driver, but also notes that the printer port is not setup properly - which causes and extraction of the actual printer to be a bit more work then expected.
    (I would really suggest reading the link I provided above as I am basically rewriting stuff in there).

/Znack

• Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:29 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:40 PM

All replies

• Argh, wrote this long post and clicked somewhere, and it was all lost...
    Anyways...
    Aaron Parker has a pretty good writeup of the issues and travels he made;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/softgrid-sequencing-adobe-acrobat-8-%e2%80%93-the-story-so-far

Regarding the flexnet issues that many discuss (not specific with acrobat) and that didn't exist in v8 as it used a different licensing-technology is dealt with here;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/addressing-licensing-issues-with-adobe-cs3-apps-on-softgrid

Now, the actual post doesn't have the solution - but in the comments is a pretty good explanation and solution-suggestion for it.
    The problem is not the actual flexnet-service  but rather that virtualization allows two instances to exist on the same machine. This would cause issues when you are running two softwares or in a TS-environment, but running a single software on a single machine is not an issue.

Now to finish this off, here comes Aarons final conclusion as to what isn't working;
    http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/more-on-softgrid-and-adobe-acrobat

Well, basically you loose integration with all other softwares. The printer driver doesn't work. The distiller behaves really bad.
    Now, the first one I mentioned - I could live without. The second one, I don't care about as usually we deploy a PDF-printer on a global-basis anyways.
    The third one is a feature not commonly requested - but if needed this would cause me not to virtualize Acrobat.
    (currently fighting with the same issues as Aaron had on both v8 and v9 in a TS-environment)

/Znack 
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:30 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Well, basically you loose integration with all other softwares. The printer driver doesn't work.

I have not attempted this yet but couldn't I install Office on the sequencer machine and then sequence Acrobat 9 Pro.  I could then make the office applications as dependencies? 

Could you please explain what you mean by the printer driver not working?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:35 PM
  • Hello,

If you have a sequenced Office version, then you could create a depency between the two and thus allowing the integration. (this wasn't possible when blog was written).

Sequencing drivers is not possible.

Aaron talks about extracting the driver, but also notes that the printer port is not setup properly - which causes and extraction of the actual printer to be a bit more work then expected.
    (I would really suggest reading the link I provided above as I am basically rewriting stuff in there).

/Znack

• Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:29 PM
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:40 PM
  • I read the link but since it's out of date I don't know what to believe.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:57 PM