look & feel of Windows 7 Version of Notepad RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed that the latest Notepad has a "retro" look & feel.  It seems to strive to retain a pre-XP aesthetic.  Specifically it's menuItems have no Check Margins and no Image Margins.  And the status line has traditional sunken labels.  I think this is a reasonable choice for a simple tool such as notepad, since it keeps the visual clutter to a minimum.  I would like to do the same thing.  Unfortunately using the latest Visual Studio and Windows 7, I was not able to acheive the same effect.  Is it possible to use Visual Studio to create a menuitem with no margin?  Or to make status line labels that look like they do in the latest Notepad?

If not, I don't think it's valid for MS GUI designers to have it both ways.  Either they have to update Notepad to their current design standards, or they have to give programmers the tools to emulate the Notepad look/feel with current Visual Studio.

Thanks for any comments on this matter.

Monday, May 25, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi comet270:

Your question seems to be related to development so I believe the best place to direct your question would be MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network). They have many resources available to developers as well as forums to discuss the problems you're having.

Best of luck,
    Nick
    • Marked as answer by Nick FV Monday, May 25, 2009 8:08 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:08 PM