How to sequence Excel 2010 Add-on that is VBA based? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am having difficulty getting an Excel Add-on sequenced to work with a sequenced Excel.

I have packaged Office 2010 with App-V 4.6 Sp1 with the initial selection of "install all" and then pulling out Publisher, InfoPath, and OneNote. I have ensured that all of the Shared components are set to install locally as well as VBA.

I prepped an MSP file that added my sequencer location as a trusted location including all subfolders. (I use W:\Apps\Ofc2010 so I set W:\Apps as the fully trusted path). When I sequence Office, I stop before indicating that I am finished in order to open Excel, add the developer tab, open the VBA environment and even create a module and remove it. At each stage where I can run the applications, I do the same thing for Excel.

When I run Office by itself, (virtualized) VBA works. But when I go back to create a packaged Add-on, something happens and the VBA environment no longer works. One posting I saw indicated that there was an issue with short names for the registry key that locates the VBA7.dll file. One attempt involved opening regedit while the sequencing was going on to change from short name to full path. (I then verified the virtual registry entry to ensure it was intact.) But that did not work.

I was doing this intial sequencing on Windows 2008 R2 (64bit OS with 32 bit Office 2010). I am now attempting on 32 bit Windows 7. Anyone have any ideas? It's been a couple days that I've been at this.

-Doug

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Your plugin should be the secondary package - not Excel itself.

Excel is not supported as a secondary package. 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:21 PM
  • Correct. I am Expanding the Office package, then starting the new one, and selecting the type "Add-on"..
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Hello,

That has no relevance of how you connect the two applications.

Which of the applications has the reference to the other one? 

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Office 2010 is the primary application

The add-in will be the secondary application. I don't even get to the DSC modification of the OSD files.

While I am still sequencing the Add-in (xla file), I open Excel and go to load it and I get the error that there is no vba or active x capabilities. So I then check the developer tab and the Visual Basic and Macro buttons on the toolbar are greyed out. Restarting Excel gets an error indicating that the VBA environment is not installed.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Hello,

So exactly where in the process are you? Have you saved your sequence? 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:35 PM
  • I have not saved the sequence yet (for the latest iterations) But in an earlier version, I had saved them all and joined with DSC. It was because the add-on wouldn't load that I've been at this for 2 days.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Hello,

So, when you earlier in the process saved them all - how did you join them with DSC?
    /Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Doug Gilmour Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:12 AM
  • I joined them using the tool. Added both paths. Selected Office as the primary application. Moved the Add-in package over to the dependencies side. Then did not check the mandatory box.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

If you use Process Monitor - when and from where does it fail to locate DLL-files? 
    /Znack
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:05 PM
  • unfortunately, due to the project time table, I have had to switch directions...

However, when I had them bound together, I would open up the Excel Add-ins management window. I'd try to browse to the virtual path (I was using W:\Apps\Plugin, instead of Q:\) and was given an access-denied message. So the client knew enough to create the virtual path, but wouldn't let me in.

Also, between every test, I would delete the cached files from within the App-V client management tool so that I'd be brining down the latest data each time.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:19 PM
  • Hello,

That means you have unsuccesfully created a suite of applications.

Assuming that you have missed one or two steps when using the DSC-tool 

/Znack
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:21 PM