none
Is AI (Asset Intelligence) part of MDOP like AIS (Asset Inventory Service)?

Question

•  

I have seen this come up as a source of confusion. This post clarifies this issue and the difference between AI and AIS.
    Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• AIS is not AI. Never was and never will be.

-- AIS was always part of MDOP.

-- AI was never part of it. It is part of SCCM.

Granted the name is somewhat close but the products are very different. 

This is from the rude Q&A I wrote for MMS 2008:

Q:  What’s new in AI 1.5 and how is it different from AI in SCCM 07

A: AI 1.5 is the largest release of Asset Intelligence to-date and while several new features are introduced, the most exciting new elements are the new UI and the dynamic connection to System Center Online.

• The UI which resides in the Configuration Manager Admin Console enhances and expands the user experience by providing key actionable data-points, the ability to customize the catalog (e.g. create custom categorization) and tailor role based security (SCCM admin vs. Asset Manager).
    • The dynamic connection to the online service allows On-demand or scheduled catalog synchronization w/On-line Service via a new Configuration Manager site role: The Asset Intelligence Synchronization Point. This is a two way connection, which also allows upload requests for software categorization to On-line Service

In addition we also introduced basic replication to distribute AI knowledge base content to other Configuration Manager sites and the ability to import licensing data and compare to inventory (both Microsoft and 3rd party).

Q: Do you need MDOP to use AI (Asset intelligence)?

A: No, you do not.

Q:  Does MDOP need SCCM to use AIS (Asset Inventory Service)?

A: No, it does not.

Q: How do the two work together?

A: Both Asset Intelligence 1.5 and AIS in MDOP use the same Catalog backend, but that’s where the similarity ends as they each offer different content, reports and user experience

For example:

• The AI 1.5 catalog is hosted locally in the SCCM DB and is kept up-to-date via the online service, but all reports run against the local SCCM DB which holds the relevant inventory and knowledge.
    • AIS does everything is an online service --both inventory and reports run against it ‘in the cloud’.

Therefore, while both share the same knowledge base on the backend, each uses different technologies and infrastructure to produce value for their respective users.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  

I'm happy to hear the posts are useful - thank you for the feedback.

It is important to remember that AI and AIS are completely separate products, with different licensing and associations.

• For Asset Intelligence (AI part of SCCM 2007) SA only comes into play in the context of being able to get access to a specific question --the online service which provides dynamic catalog updates and ability to upload requests for categorization. We (AI) use it only as a a criteria for distribution of the 'connector' certificate. The rest of the AI features are available to all SCCM customers. 
    • For the Asset Inventory Service (AIS) on the other hand is part of MDOP and you need SA in order to get it.

AI 1.5 has the ability to compare imported license information to inventory, but that feature is available to everyone. The AIS team is looking to add similar functionality to thier next release.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:08 PM
  • The license data comes in XLS form. If you can't find it on the MVLS site, ping your account rep for it. When it comes to the MVLS web site, I'm a consumer, just like you :-)

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:49 PM

All replies

• AIS is not AI. Never was and never will be.

-- AIS was always part of MDOP.

-- AI was never part of it. It is part of SCCM.

Granted the name is somewhat close but the products are very different. 

This is from the rude Q&A I wrote for MMS 2008:

Q:  What’s new in AI 1.5 and how is it different from AI in SCCM 07

A: AI 1.5 is the largest release of Asset Intelligence to-date and while several new features are introduced, the most exciting new elements are the new UI and the dynamic connection to System Center Online.

• The UI which resides in the Configuration Manager Admin Console enhances and expands the user experience by providing key actionable data-points, the ability to customize the catalog (e.g. create custom categorization) and tailor role based security (SCCM admin vs. Asset Manager).
    • The dynamic connection to the online service allows On-demand or scheduled catalog synchronization w/On-line Service via a new Configuration Manager site role: The Asset Intelligence Synchronization Point. This is a two way connection, which also allows upload requests for software categorization to On-line Service

In addition we also introduced basic replication to distribute AI knowledge base content to other Configuration Manager sites and the ability to import licensing data and compare to inventory (both Microsoft and 3rd party).

Q: Do you need MDOP to use AI (Asset intelligence)?

A: No, you do not.

Q:  Does MDOP need SCCM to use AIS (Asset Inventory Service)?

A: No, it does not.

Q: How do the two work together?

A: Both Asset Intelligence 1.5 and AIS in MDOP use the same Catalog backend, but that’s where the similarity ends as they each offer different content, reports and user experience

For example:

• The AI 1.5 catalog is hosted locally in the SCCM DB and is kept up-to-date via the online service, but all reports run against the local SCCM DB which holds the relevant inventory and knowledge.
    • AIS does everything is an online service --both inventory and reports run against it ‘in the cloud’.

Therefore, while both share the same knowledge base on the backend, each uses different technologies and infrastructure to produce value for their respective users.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:53 PM
  •  

Thanks for the explanation Dan.  I have been reading your Q&A's here and they have been very informative.

Can you explain how Software Assurance comes in to play in regards to AI and AIS?  From what I understand, AI has the ability to use the SA information for license compliance information.  But I could be way off. 

Thanks in advance

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:56 PM
  •  

I'm happy to hear the posts are useful - thank you for the feedback.

It is important to remember that AI and AIS are completely separate products, with different licensing and associations.

• For Asset Intelligence (AI part of SCCM 2007) SA only comes into play in the context of being able to get access to a specific question --the online service which provides dynamic catalog updates and ability to upload requests for categorization. We (AI) use it only as a a criteria for distribution of the 'connector' certificate. The rest of the AI features are available to all SCCM customers. 
    • For the Asset Inventory Service (AIS) on the other hand is part of MDOP and you need SA in order to get it.

AI 1.5 has the ability to compare imported license information to inventory, but that feature is available to everyone. The AIS team is looking to add similar functionality to thier next release.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:08 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply Dan.  With this information, I now realize that I need to import the license information from MVLS.

I ran the Import Software Licenses wizard for AI in SCCM but got an error saying that it wasn't a valid license file.  I followed this post where you assisted another person: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3298549&SiteID=17

On the MVLS page, I am looking at our agreements.  I click on the Agreement Profile then click 'Download Data' where I save it as an xls file.  I convert it to an xml speadsheet and try to import it, but it does not work.

It doesn't appear we have license information on the agreement profiles.  But we have an 'Orders' link underneath the Agreement Profile link where I have several orders that show license information per application.  But when I try to 'Download Data' of this information, the excel sheet is blank.

Oh and this is all being done in Excel 2003

Any ideas?

Thursday, May 29, 2008 9:05 PM
  • The license data comes in XLS form. If you can't find it on the MVLS site, ping your account rep for it. When it comes to the MVLS web site, I'm a consumer, just like you :-)

Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Saw your posting related to AI in SCCM. Learnt a lot from those. Thanks and do keep posting. However I have a query regarding the makeup of the License sheet.

I have access and downloaded the MVLS.xls file , after I converted it to XML Format, it is failing to get imported to the database.

Is there any specific data within the sheet, I mean the heading columns which should follow a specific format?

Thanks,
    Bhasker R
    Bhasker R
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:43 AM