Easiest way to setup for Dual Boot RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all. I just bought a Dell XPS laptop with vista home premium pre-installed on it. I own a legal version of XP pro and would like to setup my laptop to dual boot with the XP as alot of games/programs I have don't like Vista.  Just wanting some advice on the easiest/best way to setup a dual boot.  When Dell sent me the laptop, they partioned it with a C and D drive. The D drive is setup as the "recover" drive, and the C is the main one.  Would setting up/installing XP on the D drive be the best answer???
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot install Windows XP on Partition D as it is the recovery partition.

The easiest way to configure a Windows XP/Vista dual boot system is to format the entire drive, make more than two partitions, install Windows XP on the first partition first and then install Windows Vista on the second partition. However, after doing this, you may lose the preinstalled Windows Vista and the recovery partition Dell provides to you. If you do not have a Windows Vista retail disk and would like to keep the recovery partition, you may need to try the following method:

1.    Shrink a partition from Partition C and name the shrinked partition as Partition E.

To shrink a partition, you can refer to the following article;

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2.    Install Windows XP on Partition E.

After that, it is expected Windows Vista cannot boot. You can try the following steps to make it boot again:

3.    Boot into Windows XP.

4.    Insert the Vista disk into DVD-ROM.

5.    Click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

6.    Type the following command at a command prompt and press Enter:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.

4. type the following commands at a command prompt and press Enter.

Note In the commands below, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=e:  (Note: e: is the drive letter for the active partition) Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

3. Restart the computer.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

However, before doing the above steps, I suggest contacting Dell of more information first.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Installing XP on the D: drive now would overwrite Vista's boot manager. I guess you could edit the boot.ini file in Windows XP after you have installed it to recognize the Vista installation but I haven't done it. The easiest method would be to first install XP and afterwards install Vista, which I have tested and it works.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Hi,

You cannot install Windows XP on Partition D as it is the recovery partition.

The easiest way to configure a Windows XP/Vista dual boot system is to format the entire drive, make more than two partitions, install Windows XP on the first partition first and then install Windows Vista on the second partition. However, after doing this, you may lose the preinstalled Windows Vista and the recovery partition Dell provides to you. If you do not have a Windows Vista retail disk and would like to keep the recovery partition, you may need to try the following method:

1.    Shrink a partition from Partition C and name the shrinked partition as Partition E.

To shrink a partition, you can refer to the following article;

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2.    Install Windows XP on Partition E.

After that, it is expected Windows Vista cannot boot. You can try the following steps to make it boot again:

3.    Boot into Windows XP.

4.    Insert the Vista disk into DVD-ROM.

5.    Click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

6.    Type the following command at a command prompt and press Enter:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.

4. type the following commands at a command prompt and press Enter.

Note In the commands below, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=e:  (Note: e: is the drive letter for the active partition) Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

3. Restart the computer.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

However, before doing the above steps, I suggest contacting Dell of more information first.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 15, 2008 3:01 AM