none
App-V Client 5 Service can not start Error 575

Question

• Good Morning

I have a Problem with the App-V 5.0 Client. When i starting the Service come following Error: Microsoft App-V Client on local Computer can not start. For more Informationen read the Events. Error 575.

Event-ID 7024
    The Service"Microsoft App-V Client" terminated with service-specific error: {Error in Application} The application failed to start properly (0x%lx). Click the "OK" button to exit the application ..

You have a solution?

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:17 AM

Answers

• http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2013/03/21/10404146.aspx reports a simialr issue (in German), but on an RDS server.

The issue described there is that App-V tries to resolve/access a folder GUID int the registry that isn't there.

In the above scenario, it was the Music Library.

Activating the Music Library (causeng the key to be written) and deactivating it right away solved the issue. Of course *your* GUID/feature might be another one.

(and no, Sebastian does not explain _why_ App-V tries to access your favorite music)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:53 AM
  • I have managed to resolve this now.

I also found app-v client packages in the following directory, and cleaned this out.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization\Client\

I believe the issue is the uninstaller account does not have permissions to remove the packages from that above directory & "c:\programdata\app-v\"

To overcome this I had to take ownership of all files & folders and manually delete them that way.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Have you attempted to reinstall all prerequisites and the client?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for you help. I have following reinstall: AppV 5 Client, Powershell 3.0 and .Net Framework 4.0. But the error coming always. Do you have a second solution?

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Hello,
    That list looks like you are missing many pre-requisites?

See this list; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713458.aspx

If the above is all you have installed, you are missing prerequisites that most likely will cause such a crash.

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:05 AM
  • I have it checked again. The prerequisites are all installed.

Now I have it all again reinstall without success. I have this problem on 3 Clients.

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest you verify if there is another piece of software conflicting.

This is usually done by removing all software, then installing the prerequisites for the app-v 5 client and the client to verify that it works.

After that, you install all other software 1 by 1 until it breaks

Monday, January 28, 2013 10:34 AM
  • I'll try again. But first I go to lunch.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 10:38 AM
  • I have the same error on my Win7 64bit machines even when I install from scratch, on 32bit windows it works fine.
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 10:11 AM
  • Hello,

Sounds odd, this shouldn't happen. I don't really know how you are installing it though - so no ideas howto troubleshoot. Check the installation logs would be a good start

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 12:09 PM
  • Sorry for the bad news. I reinstall the complete maschine.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:05 PM
  • I think the problem is caused after a windows update
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 1:57 PM
  • Tested on a new system, appv5 works on 64bit until i install KB2691442

Thursday, March 21, 2013 11:11 AM
  • I have that update installed on a Windows 7 SP1 x86 system without issues. Have you also tested under x86?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Yes I have multiple x86 systems with this update, they all work fine!
    The problem only occures on 64bit win7 sp1.

Thanks for looking into this.

Johan

Friday, March 22, 2013 8:54 AM
  • And here is another patch that causes exact the same problem on a 64bit system: KB2640148

Friday, March 22, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any third-party tools installed on the machine?

Friday, March 22, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

There are no third-party tools installed.
    This is a fresh win7 enterprise 64bit client with sp1 installed and the prereq for appv5

Strange thing is that removing the patches does not help, I need to do a complete reinstall without the 2 patches to get appv5 working.

Johan

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:45 AM
  • http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sgern/archive/2013/03/21/10404146.aspx reports a simialr issue (in German), but on an RDS server.

The issue described there is that App-V tries to resolve/access a folder GUID int the registry that isn't there.

In the above scenario, it was the Music Library.

Activating the Music Library (causeng the key to be written) and deactivating it right away solved the issue. Of course *your* GUID/feature might be another one.

(and no, Sebastian does not explain _why_ App-V tries to access your favorite music)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

This patch doesn't cause the issue on any of the systems I manage. I suggest you look into the above suggestion, or perhaps share more about your setup

Sunday, March 31, 2013 8:17 PM
  • HI I am having an issue with SP2 not starting the App-V service giving an error "The Service"Microsoft App-V Client" terminated with service-specific error: {Error in Application} The application failed to start properly (0x%lx). " This has only happened since upgrading from SP1 to SP2. This happens with the RDS client on a server 2008 r2 build. I have searched for a valid answer but so far I have not had any joy.

I have tried uninstalling all pre-requisites and reinstalling I have tried uninstalling the client and reinstalling I have tried removing some updates as suggested but this is becoming more frustrating. Could anyone shed some light?

Tuesday, January 07, 2014 2:51 PM
  • I'm having the same issue and I've also tried every step listed above. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated as we would like to use some of the features of SP2.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Hello,

Did you follow the suggestion by Falko?

Wednesday, January 08, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Hello,

I have started getting this error come about, this is a Win 2008r2 with App-V RDS 5.0 SP2 installed. I restarted the machine now the service wont start, prior to the restart was getting errors relating to packages e.g:

Package {924d85b3-f1d4-47c4-b4f9-4790192a84b0} version {9925f913-fdd4-4230-9bf5-9fad22bb4514} failed configuration in folder 'D:\AppVPackageInstallRoot\924D85B3-F1D4-47C4-B4F9-4790192A84B0\9925F913-FDD4-4230-9BF5-9FAD22BB4514' with error 0x4FC01504-0x80070003.

This was in Event logs (Microsoft\AppV\Client\Admin)

This server is a clean Windows 2008 R2, just been built yesterday. This didnt have any previous versions of App-V  installed.

I have reinstalled the client, repaired the client and the service still refuses to start. I cannot apply the above fix as I am using a later version SP2 not SP1 like it requires..

If anyone has resolved this please let me know.

Friday, January 10, 2014 12:53 AM
  • Hello,

Did you read the suggestion, and the link with the suggestion, on potential solutions for this issue?

I can't see that you attempted it at all?

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Yes sorry I read the suggestion and could not find a GUID that was effecting it.. I have also reinstalled all pre-requsites and the RDS appv client.. However it also states that this is resolved in the later App-V client 5.0.2
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 1:42 AM
  • Hello,

Try to uninstall

Clean c:\programdata\appv completely

and then install

Does that make a difference?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks, I tried that re-installed after restarting ans same issue. error 575...

thanks,

regards,

Mike.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:06 AM
  • I have managed to resolve this now.

I also found app-v client packages in the following directory, and cleaned this out.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Application Virtualization\Client\

I believe the issue is the uninstaller account does not have permissions to remove the packages from that above directory & "c:\programdata\app-v\"

To overcome this I had to take ownership of all files & folders and manually delete them that way.

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by David WoltersModerator Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:24 AM
  • I had the same problem where the App-V client service would not start after upgrading to SP2 and Hotfix KB2934349.  I did take ownership of  and deleted all the contents of C:\ProgramData\App-V but that did not help by itself.  I also had to delete all of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Catalog, Reporting and VREG.  This was on Server 2008 R2 64bit with the RDS client.  I upgraded 17 identical servers and only one had this problem.  Strange..
    Friday, March 21, 2014 6:51 PM
  • We've just had the exact same problem as VirtualizeMe-123.

• 2008 R2 RDS
    • App-V 5 SP2 + KB2934349

Following the same steps resolved the issue for us for now but we assume it will return at some stage.

Will the problems with App-V 5 never cease?!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:55 PM