Word 2003 *.xml file looks different in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We changed our environment to Windows 7 and Office 2010 a while back, one user have alot of old xml files saved from office 2003 these are templates that he uses.

above is how the header information looks when opening the file from office 2003 ( i covered the text over fyi)

And if we open the same file in office 2010 it will look like this below

the 3 bottom lines is the same as in the text above but the other text lines that is added i have no idead where those are coming from. Can it have something with the xml format to do? It is the exactly the same file but the content is shows is different depening on what version of Word you use. Anyone have a clue what can cause this to happen? and it is not only one document it is for all the documents.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think may be you need to install the compatibility check. Follow the link below.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/microsoft-office-compatibility-pack-for-word-excel-and-powerpoint-HA010168676.aspx

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:02 AM
  • I dont think i need that because the problem is not to open the file it is that it adds some extra lines of text from another document into it when opening it in word 2010 and we run Windows 7 on the clients and not XP, I think what you linked is if you have XP and want to be able to convert office 2010 documents so you can read them in windows xp.

The only thing is that it adds these extra lines of text above the normal text that is correct in word 2003 , but it shows differently in word 2010.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Anyone that have a clue why this is happening? It is annoying to have to go through each file manually and delete the extra text that is now shown when opening the file in Office 2010

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:59 AM