none
robocopy error RRS feed

• Question

• I use the robocopy command all the time and it works perfectly, but for some reason I'm running into an issue. I'm trying to copy the content of one network share to another. I've never had an issue before doing so.

I run the command like this: "robocopy n: x:\Misc /e /copy:dat /xo /zb /w:2 /r:2

Error message, "Error 4390 (0x00001126) Accessing Destination Directory x:\Misc The file or Directory is not a reparse point."

I did open CMD as an administrator prior to running command.

What is a reparse point and why does Microsoft need a reparse point for this particular copy job to copy these folders and files?

I noticed while searching for an answer I ran into this post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/5cd00366-79f0-4459-b38c-f23fed453624/robocopy-error-4390?forum=winserverfiles

This guy had the same issue but nothing was resolved.

If I use a 3rd party software like Teracopy I can copy just fine but not with robocopy.

• Edited by finsfree11 Friday, January 12, 2018 9:33 PM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 9:15 PM

All replies

• RoboCopy is installed by default to the OS,but so is XCOPY,try running XCOPY instead,read  491035
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

From the error, it is possible that the file you copied contain a junction points.

Please run the command robocopy n: x:\Misc /e /copy:dat /xo /zb /w:2 /r:2 /xj /log:<logfilename>

To import the log file which shows specific files you copied. You can upload the txt file to a network drive and share the link here. In  this way, we can help to analyze the log.

To help you better understand the reparse point, please refer to https://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/173777-Slight-problem-with-Robocopy

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 15, 2018 10:37 AM
  • Hi,

From the error, it is possible that the file you copied contain a junction points.

Please run the command robocopy n: x:\Misc /e /copy:dat /xo /zb /w:2 /r:2 /xj /log:<logfilename>

To import the log file which shows specific files you copied. You can upload the txt file to a network drive and share the link here. In  this way, we can help to analyze the log.

To help you better understand the reparse point, please refer to https://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/173777-Slight-problem-with-Robocopy

Note: this is a 3rd party link, we don't have any warranties on this website. It's just for your convenience. 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

As you requested.

Log file Content:

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Seems that there are several files that has the same issue.

Let's user the command to list the failed files:

robocopy n: x:\Misc /e /copy:dat /xo /zb /w:2 /r:2 /xj /log:<logfilename> /z /v

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:48 AM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Friday, January 19, 2018 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

What is going on?

Monday, January 22, 2018 2:18 AM
  • Never got it to work.

I failed to mention I am copying data from an Apple share using Windows onto a Qnap (NAS). Three different file types...

It's just not a normal copy job....

• Edited by finsfree11 Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:51 PM
    Sunday, January 28, 2018 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

What if you try  \\ip\sorce folder \\ip\Destination folder /e /copy:dat /xo /zb /w:2 /r:2 /xj

In addition, make sure that the three things:NAS,windows,Apple use the same version of SMB protocol.

How to enable SMB on windows, remember to back up your registry:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2696547/how-to-detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-smbv2-and-smbv3-in-windows-and

About NAS settings, you can open console to check the configurations.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:12 AM