Orphaned Reports and Data Source GUID's RRS feed

• Question

•  

THis is related to another thread but I'll be more concise so maybe people will read it

1. Once a data source has a GUID and is published, is there anything that can change the GUID on data data source short of editing the bswx file directly?
    2. If a report is linked to a data source (GUID) that is now deleted (deleted from the bswx workspace and server), is there any way to fix it - ie link it to another data source definition that is identical to the deleted one except the GUID of course? 

Thanks.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• No easy way to do this - sorry.

Thanks,

Alyson

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:11 PM

All replies

• No easy way to do this - sorry.

Thanks,

Alyson

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:11 PM
  • THanks.  When a data source has a GUID (which happens when you create it) and is published, is there anything that can change the GUID on data data source short of editing the bswx file directly? 

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:29 PM
  • No - sorry.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Dont be sorry.  That is good and the way it should be.  I was worried that a data source GUID could somehow change through some process other than editing the bswx file directly.  This is what happened to collegues of mine and the reason I post these questions.  They believe that the GUID on a data source that was linked to some reports changed...orphaning the reports.  They believe this because these orphaned reports reference a non-existant data source GUID.  I suggested to them that maybe they deleted the original data source and recreated it.  While this is possible (and they recognize this), deleting a data source that is linked to a published report is not easy.  Try it.  You have to delete it from your workspace and then delete it from the server at the same time.  A heroic effort that would only be possible if it was the intended result.

I am happy with your response which I believe is,  "A Data Source GUID cannot be changed through some method other than editing the bswx XML directly or creating a custom routine to do the same."

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 10:51 PM