none
50/50 DHCP Load Balancing 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I migrated several scopes from 2008 R2 (split-scope) to a pair of 2012 R2 DHCP servers. Leases are being handed out, no complaints of no connectivity, etc.

However, if I look at the statistics in the DHCP MMC, the primary server has (for example on a specific scope) 136 leases, and the partner server has 10.  I'm not seeing any DHCP related errors in the event logs.  From my understanding, every 5 minutes the primary should determine whether or not lease ownership should be transferred based on the percentages you configured in the relationship.

Any ideas why the lease ownership isn't being transferred to the partner server to balance it out?  Freshly created scopes are balancing just fine.

Monday, February 8, 2016 3:14 PM

Answers

• That is true if you use DHCP Failover Load Balancer Mode: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2012/08/06/dhcp-failover-load-balance-mode/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi Frentic,

I'm a litter confused, are you doing DHCP failover or split scope? As Mr X has provided how DHCP failover works above, below is about DHCP split-scope:

If you are configuring DHCP split-scope 50/50, then the configuration looks like below, original scope 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.100. DHCP split-scope works with delay, the added DHCP server will delay to receive DHCP broadcast packet from client.

After configuring, the statistics looks like this, each DHCP server has half of the IP addresses.

> From my understanding, every 5 minutes the primary should determine whether or not lease ownership should be transferred based on the percentages you configured in the relationship.

Could you explain this theory for us and if you referred any article, you may post the article for discussion.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:22 AM

All replies

• That is true if you use DHCP Failover Load Balancer Mode: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/teamdhcp/2012/08/06/dhcp-failover-load-balance-mode/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi Frentic,

> From my understanding, every 5 minutes the primary should determine whether or not lease ownership should be transferred based on the percentages you configured in the relationship.

The blog provided by Mr X descripts how DHCP failover works.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 5:28 AM
  • Hi Frentic,

The blog provided by Mr X descripts how DHCP failover works.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Anne

We have a 50/50 configuration.  The "fresh" scopes that we created are balancing leases correctly.  Migrated scopes have a heavily favoring the primary server as detailed in my original post.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Hi Frentic,

I'm a litter confused, are you doing DHCP failover or split scope? As Mr X has provided how DHCP failover works above, below is about DHCP split-scope:

If you are configuring DHCP split-scope 50/50, then the configuration looks like below, original scope 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.100. DHCP split-scope works with delay, the added DHCP server will delay to receive DHCP broadcast packet from client.

After configuring, the statistics looks like this, each DHCP server has half of the IP addresses.

Could you explain this theory for us and if you referred any article, you may post the article for discussion.

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:22 AM