Disk Usage 100% RRS feed

• Question

• Help Please!!!!

I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series Touchscreen Laptop | Intel Core i7 6th Gen | 16 GB RAM | 4GB Graphics | 1080p with Windows 10 for my wife. She has been complaining that she was not able to even complete simple tasks like making a reservation in airbnb or browse through any website. I noticed couple of issues

1) Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    2) Task Manager: Disk 0 - Active Time is 100%

I was with Dell Support for 3 hours last night. They changed registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_.....\3&21436425&0&10\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties\MSISupported" from 1 to 0 hoping that it would work. It did not. He recommended that I reset my PC. I reset my PC (which took about 3 hours to complete) and I am still stuck with the same issue

1) Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
    2) Task Manager: Disk 0 - Active Time is 100%

When I spoke to Dell they think it is a Windows 10 issue. Is this a Dell problem or a known Windows 10 bug that has a resolution? I ensured that all latest updates are installed. Appreciate any help that you could provide. I would like to do all I could do to stop her from returning this laptop and buy a poor MacBook
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Raj Ramalingam,

"access to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb"
    Based on the previous analysis, this issue may be related to the Windows Update.
    Please try to clear the Windows Update cache.
    net stop wuauserv
    cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
    ren Download Download.old
    net start wuauserv

Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update

In addition, please check the WindowsUpdate.log for any error messages.
    Open a powershell command line and run "get-windowsupdatelog".

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:51 AM

All replies

• Please read this wiki to find out how to find and upload your event viewer logs

In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Hi Raj Ramalingam,

Are there any specific process occupying many disk resources?
    First of all, we could try to perform a clean boot to verify whether this issue is caused by any third party service.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

To troubleshoot this issue deeply, we could refer to ZigZag3143x`s link to collector more information to troubleshoot this issue.

In addition, we could try to run "chkdsk" to check the health of disk.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Thank you for your response. I did a clean boot and it did not help. I did a "chkdsk" and not errors were detected. I will check ZigZag3143x's recommendation

Sunday, February 7, 2016 1:01 AM
  • Hi ZigZag3143x,

I was able to create a trace file. Could you please help?

http://1drv.ms/1UUzjrm

Thanks,

Raj

Sunday, February 7, 2016 2:53 AM
  • Install 1511 to clean HDD. If problem persists, chances are that there is problem with HW.

Also try Sysinternals tools to diagnose the origin of troubles.

M.

Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:55 AM
  • There are two things that are causing the HD thrashing.  You have windows update running in the background and McAfee.

I would delete the EDB file highlighted in the snip below and remove McAfee, and use the built in defender.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:49 AM
  • From your trace; yes, disk usage is > 90% in the beginning, but then when down.

from my understanding of the trace, Windows is just updating (access to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb) so maybe the automatic maintenance task was running.

You can look in C:\WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CBS.log, which was written during the trace, to see if there are any errors reported.

You have McAffee Antivirus installed: remove this.

Additionally there are a lot of additional 3rd party processes running: you should clean up your autostart.

• Edited by EckiS Sunday, February 7, 2016 12:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Kate LiMicrosoft employee Monday, February 8, 2016 7:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Friday, February 19, 2016 3:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Raj Ramalingam Friday, February 19, 2016 5:53 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Hi Raj Ramalingam,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:02 AM
  • Hi ZigZag3143x,

I tried the following

1) Deleted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb - It keeps coming back

2) Removed McAfee

3) Uninstalled all 3rd party apps

I do not see any improvements. Could there be a Hardware issue?

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:52 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

Unfortunately, no improvement

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:53 AM
  • Hi Raj Ramalingam,

"access to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb"
    Based on the previous analysis, this issue may be related to the Windows Update.
    Please try to clear the Windows Update cache.
    net stop wuauserv
    cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
    ren Download Download.old
    net start wuauserv

Run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Windows Update

In addition, please check the WindowsUpdate.log for any error messages.
    Open a powershell command line and run "get-windowsupdatelog".

Best regards

Monday, February 22, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

This seems to work. I have disabled "Automatic" updates. I will monitor and let you know if this issue persists. Thank you for your help

Cheers,

Raj

Saturday, February 27, 2016 2:21 AM