Peculiar behaviors between Word 2010 and Word 2016 on font spacing (condense/expand) for documents in CJK characters RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my company switched to Word 2016 from Word 2010 and right away we felt the differences between the two Word versions. 

I have developed some Macros to repoistion puncturations for some Word documents in Word 2010. After switched to Word 2016, the same Macros don't yield expected results for documents created in Word 2016 any more. By the way, most of the time these documents use CJK characters, where some of the characters are in Plane 2 and Plane F, so they are double-byte characters.

After careful comparison, I discovered in Word 2016, the unit entered for either font condense/expand actually is doubled in effect. Thus, the same Macros yield quite different font presentations from those in Word 2010.

The precise description of behaviors in Word 2010, Font->Advanced->Spacing->Condensed for 2 pt, actuallly shrinks a space of 2 point for the character. In Word 2016, the same opearation, actually shrinks a space of 4 points. Thus, to compensate the behavior differences I have to enter only half the units for such spacing adjustment operations in Word 2016 in order to make the font presentation consistent with that in Word 2010. 

It's even more peculiar than what I stated above. If the Word document is created in Word 2010 and I perform the spacing adjustment operaitons in Word 2016, it follows the unit specifications of Word 2010. However, if the document is created in Word 2016, the effects of spacing adjustment is doubled. 

This created a big problem, because users running the Macros don't have a clue which version of Word the documents were created. Thus, even I created a new set of Macros to compensate the doubling effect spacing adjustment of Word 2016. I still can't solve the problem because users must find out how the documents were created before they apply the right set of Macros. 

Only Font Spacing shows this problem, Font Positioning doesn't have this issue, unit of points are consistent between Word 2010 and Word 2016. 

My question is whether this change of units in Font Spacing in Word 2016 is by design or is an unintended bug? 

Another question is how do I make the font spacing unit of Word 2016 the same as that in Word 2010?

• Edited by Ip Smiles Monday, January 22, 2018 6:36 AM
    Monday, January 22, 2018 3:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Font->Advanced->Spacing->Condensed for 2 pt

I checked the same document both in Word 2010 and 2016 and could not reproduce the issue.
    What kind of font are you using? (Which font should I use for testing?)

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Monday, January 22, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Well, I replied too soon. For a short while, I thought the issues have been corrected! However, today, just upgraded to Windows 10 1803. The problems come back!

Let me investigate it first and then get back to you.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:16 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

Thanks for replying. These several days a lot of things happening and there are too many things changing in my system which made it hard to pinpoint which of the changes caused the problem. Let me try to explain what happened based on my best recollection.

After reinstalled Word 2016 Pro Plus, for a short while I thought the problem went away. meaning in both Word 2010 and 2016 created files, the shift and condense specifications yield consistent results. At this moment, my Windows 10 language specification was English, Word 2016 installed with traditional Chinese. Afterward, I installed Simplified Chinese language pack, condense started showing different results!

However, after I removed the Simplified Chinese language pack, the problem returned. I tried to follow what I did the first time which I thought corrected the problem, but was not successful. Thus, the problem remains.

Please note that since the text orientation is vertical in the following examples, the condense and shift are exchanged!!! (not the horizontal text orientation as shown in your example)

Here is the screen captures to illustrate what I meant the problem I encounted. My apology that this illustration is done in the Traditional Chinese version of Word 2016 Pro Plus.

I created a document each in Word 2010 and Word 2016. Same text in traditional Chinese. Then perform the font shift and condense operations on a period. The following are the screen captures:

For the Word 2010 created document in Word 2010:

If the same document is open in Word 2016, perform the shift and condense, everything is just fine.

In Word 2016, copy and paste the same text to create a new document, and perform the same shift and condense operations, this is what I see on my screen. Notice that the period is at much lower position which is twice as the specified amount, from it's original position to the vertical middle positioin of the character below. (The font size is 20 pt.) 

Thus, in order to produce the same results as the document created in Word 2010, what I need to do now is to reduce by half the points of the condense operation to compensate its doubling effect. However, I don't need to do the same for the shift operation. The screen capture results is as follows:

Word 2016 document open in Word 2016 with compensation

The interesting observation is that this Word 2016 created document opened in Word 2010 still showing this perculiar behaviors. Meaning the condense operation will double the specified points in condensing the font.

Seems to me that the internal treatment of fonts in Word 2016 and Word 2010 documents are different so the condense operation performs according to the different internal representations, thus, the yielding different effects.

Please let me know if there is a solution to make the result consistent?

Your attention and helps are very appreciated.

IpSmiles

• Edited by Ip Smiles Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:59 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 2:00 PM