none
Many windows search service Event 3013 entries in Application Event Log

Question

• Hi

There are many Windows Search Service Event 3013 entries in the Application Event Log of a fully patched SBS 2003R2 server belonging to a client of mine. I have searched Technet and the internet generally and have not been able to find a way to resolve the issue that this event highlights.

The search service on the server appears to spend all it's time indexing, is this a really necessary service? Does it cause performance issues?

This is a typical log entry

-----------------------

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Windows Search Service
    Event Category: Gatherer
    Event ID: 3013
    Date:  24/08/2010
    Time:  07:41:25
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CTSERVER
    Description:
    The entry <D:\USERS SHARED FOLDERS\JOHNSMITH\MY DOCUMENTS\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-3521018977-1147928953-704664119-1209\D@28\INDUSTRY MAG APR 06\DUMMY.DOC> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
     A device attached to the system is not functioning.   (0x8007001f)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

-------------------------------------------------

Should the service be specifically configured to only index certain folders?

Should User Profiles and User My Documents folders be omitted?

I would be grateful for any help with this query.

Thank you.

Tony

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 9:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tony:

Hve you seen this:

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3013&eventno=8149&source=Microsoft Search&phase=1

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:42 AM
  • The issue with 3013 errors can be safely ignored. However, if they bother you disable or uninstall WDS. The only impact will be on searching on the Remote Access web site. Windows Desktop Search is the engine behind that. It's not used otherwise, so if you don't use the Remote Access web site, or don't need to search, you can turn it off.

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/663812ce-644b-4fa6-8473-7aa331b5897d/

-Kevin Weilbacher (SBS MVP)
    "The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"
    KW Support MVP Blog
    MVP's do NOT work for Microsoft. We give our time freely to support the SBS community!
    • Marked as answer by TonyHarvey Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:44 AM
  • Thank you Kevin, and Larry for your responses.

I have decided to turn the service off. I do agree with many of the sentiments regarding the pointlessness of having error messages that can safely be ignored, surely these should be Warnings, rather than Errors. Microsoft really do shoot themselves in the foot with these sorts of issues.

We all try to provide a professional service to our clients using our knowledge of Microsoft products, it is sad that we then have to tarnish the Microsoft name by demonstrating to our clients that Microsoft have messed up, in order to keep ourselves clean!

Thanks again.

Tony

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Would there be any harm in scheduling a stop/start of the WSearch service so that it only runs overnight and therefore reduce the number of clashes?
    Sunday, January 16, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Hi I have lots of that errors on my 2003 Standard Server Sp2. I don't agree with ignoring these errors. Why reporting these errors if we can ignore them. They fill my event viewer preventing me of seeing the important logs. I can't disable this service as it is needed for indexing the libraries of my windows 7 clients. I am using windows search 4.0. Is there still no solution ? Respectfully Balder

By editing the shares in the indexer list i managed to have no more errors reported

in my case, which is not possible for everyone i suppose

• Proposed as answer by Bureaux Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:58 AM
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hello Bureaux, Can you shed some light on how to edit the shares in the indexer list..

I have the same issue with 2003 SP2.

Thanks

Steve

Friday, January 21, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hi SSuth9

Knowing this reply is late as your message is more than a year old :

Right clic on search icon near clock -> windows search options

The problem occured again in my case but still no other solution. Doomed to ignore

this message because now it does the error on files i can't remove from the index list.

Great image microsoft is giving to its clients... an error every hour ! ;-)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:40 AM