none
Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.

Question

• Home Network Desktop and Laptop no longer able to connect.

My desktop is a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Broadband Internet Access. The computer has been formatted into two drives.

My laptop is also a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Wireless Internet Access. The laptop has been formatted into two drives.

I run separate copies of Acronis True Image backup on both systems and they continuously sync selected files without difficulty. In the past it has been possible for me to exchange files between the computers via the Network folders. After a Windows update that no longer became possible, however, I have no basis for assuming the update is the fault.

The File Explorer listing for Network shows both computers listed. All attempts to access the other computer listed under Network fails. The following is another example of access attempts failure.
    ========== 
    "Windows cannot access \\Inspiron-5570" is a typical response seen following hours of connection attempts.

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (INSPIRON-5570)  Detected

It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource".

=======
    I've read and followed every suggestion I've found on the Internet in my attempts to resolve the problem. None of the suggestions I've found has provided the solution I need.

If the Acronis True Image software is able to SYNC information between the two computers, why am I not able to exchange information via the Network?

Monday, September 10, 2018 2:41 AM

All replies

• Hi

Open windows services (winlogo+R) then type services.msc

Then ok button

On the list that appears find this service below and double click on it and put it on automatic

Function Discovery Resource Publication
    service

Do it on all your computers

In advanced network settings

Enable network  discovery

Share files and printer

128 bit encryption

Go under all the options all networks - private - public - domain ect.

Maybe you will need to restart your computers

Now you need to share the folders on each of your computers if it is not already done

When trying to access shared folders if you get permission denied (with error code) please try these steps below

Press the Windows key.
                Type Notepad in the search field.
                In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
                From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
                Make the necessary changes to the file.
                Click File > Save to save your changes.

For example in the hosts file type as follow but use your own IP addresses

192.168.0.45 yourpc1name  #this is the computer where the shared folder is located

192.168.0.60 yourpc2name   #this is the computer where the shared folder is located

192.168.0.70 yourNASname  #this is the NAS where the shared folder is located

Please  maybe you will need to restart your computers. It works for statiques IP

Momominta

Monday, September 10, 2018 4:56 AM
  • Just to make sure: have you tried looking at network sharing properties? The "enable password-protected sharing" in "All Profiles" option to be exact. It defaults to "Enable" after each and every feature update (I.e. when new Windows.Old appears in your root directory) when for easier home LAN file sharing I set it to disabled (so that it allows anonymous connections over SMB).
    Monday, September 10, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sure you've looked at the relevant settings such as opening smb1.0, network discovery and son on.

Check the steps below if you have tried.

1. Use the Network Reset Option in Setting and update the network driver from official website of the manufacturer.

2. Reboot the router.

3. If you have set the obtain the DNS server address and IP address automatically, try to clear the DNS cache.

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

4. Run the following command:

dism/online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for the information. I had previously tried most of the steps, but just finished repeating the process. Sadly, no solution occurred. I continue to receive error messages associated with failure to achieve a working connection between the two networked computers.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:47 PM
  • Thanks. My system was previously and remains set to: "Turn off password protected sharing"
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:54 PM
  • Thanks very much for the information I'd not previously found posted. I followed each step but, unfortunately, nothing served to resolve my inability to access files between the two computers. I attempted to attach an image copy of the Network Error message, but this webpage won't allow me to take that step.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:21 AM
  • Thanks very much for the information I'd not previously found posted. I followed each step but, unfortunately, nothing served to resolve my inability to access files between the two computers. I attempted to attach an image copy of the Network Error message, but this webpage won't allow me to take that step.

Put the picture on your onedrive and give the link without password

Momominta

Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:25 AM
  • Hi Bond Sands

Please  check if all your computers NetBIOS over Tcpip is activated? Open command prompt then type IPCONFIG /ALL

Momominta

Thursday, September 13, 2018 4:23 AM
  • 1.  Here's the link to the Error Message copies.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=B7C2A4ED59198C68%2188394&cid=B7C2A4ED59198C68

2.  The following is a copy of the IPCONFIG /ALL command for the Desktop computer. It shows NetBIOS over TCPIP is enabled.

The copy of IPCONFIG /ALL for the Laptop computer is similar to the one below with one exception. It shows NetBIOS over TCP/IP is disabled. When I changed it in the Advanced Properties for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to show "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" it appears to have no affect for IPCONFIG /ALL continues to show it disabled.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.228]
    (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-3650
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm QCA9565 802.11b/g/n Wireless Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-49-0F-62-74-C5
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 12-49-0F-62-74-C5

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 22-49-0F-62-74-C5

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-00-6A-30-5B-FD
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2ce7:be95:98ad:84da%9(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.234(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:05:58 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 14, 2018 9:28:22 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 90439786
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-22-9C-06-30-64-00-6A-30-5B-FD
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 40-49-0F-62-74-C6

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

• Edited by Bond Shands Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:23 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 4:49 PM
  • As far as I can see nobody has yet asked you to explain this part of your first post:

My desktop is a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Broadband Internet Access. The computer has been formatted into two drives.

My laptop is also a Dell Inspiron x64 running Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on local LAN connected via Wireless Internet Access. The laptop has been formatted into two drives.

Please explain what you mean by Broadband Internet Access and Wireless Internet Access. Is it simply that one PC is connected to the router with a cable and the other by WiFi?

Also you seem to have posted the result of ipconfig/all for the desktop but not the laptop.

Finally have you tried to connect one computer to the other by typing \\192.168.1.xxx into the address bar of file explorer on one of the computers (replace xxx with the value from the IP address of the other computer)?

Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:16 PM
  • Hi Bond

Netbios over Tcpip is enable that's great. Now let see what can block your network for working.

Tell me IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.234(Preferred)

This 192.168.1.234 is it your server IP Address?  if not you need to replace by your server IP Address.

Sometimes VPN and HyperV can block your network

If those are setup please disable them to see if that help. (restart your computers)

For sure something blocks your network.

Momominta

Thursday, September 13, 2018 5:18 PM
  • I now have both computers connected via Ethernet (the laptop was previously wireless). I use the term Broadband in place of Ethernet. Both are now connected via a cable.

The ipconfig/all for the laptop is nearly identical to that for the desktop. The only difference is in the NetBIOS over Tcpip is reported as Disabled.

Attempts to connect using their IP addresses fails (took too long to respond messages).

The following is a copy of the laptop's ipconfig/all report.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.285]
    (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : INSPIRON-5570
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-E5-F9-70-43-A6

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-E5-F9-70-43-A7

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 76-E5-F9-70-43-A6

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-EC-4B-04-C2-9E
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::454d:bc86:3052:cd4e%6(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.37(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 12, 2018 5:11:31 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 14, 2018 7:29:23 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 59567179
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-21-D8-1E-9A-8C-EC-4B-04-C2-9E
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-E5-F9-70-43-AA

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:54 PM
  • 192.168.1.234 is the IP address for the desktop computer.

192.168.1.37 is the IP address for the laptop computer.

I don't have VPN or HyperV on my system.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 8:05 PM
  • 192.168.1.234 is the IP address for the desktop computer.

192.168.1.37 is the IP address for the laptop computer.

I don't have VPN or HyperV on my system.

This IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.234(Preferred)  if you don't have a server why it appears in that place. You need to take it off and check use dynamic IP addresses.

One thing the netbios over Tcpip should be always activated. That's why your network has an issue.

For your laptop >Download the new  ethernet drivers then open device manager to unistall your old ethernet drivers then without restarting your computer install the new drivers

Momominta

Thursday, September 13, 2018 9:45 PM
  • It's my understanding those IP addresses are the ones assigned by my Network Router. As for the Desktop computer's TCP/IPv4, it's set at "Obtain an IP address automatically and the same is true of DNS server addresses. And for IP addresses it reports DHCP enabled.realtek pcie fe family 

Device Manager reports I have the latest driver installed. As for separately downloading and installing a replacement, I did download what I assume to be the right one. However, not having done this type of task before, I don't feel comfortable doing it. 

Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:18 PM
  • Ok if the IP is assigned by the router that's ok. But I don't know how many of your computers show netbios over Tcpip disabled.

You open device manager >find network adapters >expand the right click on your realtek then uninstall and without restarting install the new drivers and restart your computer.  then when coming back open command prompt type ipconfig /all and check if netbios over Tcpip is activated.

But right now try these steps below only on computer with netbios over Tcpip disabled.
    netsh int ip reset
    netsh winsock reset
    Reboot computer.

You also try this

To enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP on Windows 10

Open the Network Connections folder.
        Right click the local area network connection and click Properties.
        Double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
        Click Advanced.
        Click WINS

Reboot your computer

Momominta

Friday, September 14, 2018 12:15 AM
  • Friday, September 14, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for the video link. However, I had already performed the same tasks more than once during the past week or so. And I did nothing different than was shone in the video.

As I noted in my original post, I run copies of Acronis True Image 2018 Backup software on both computer. They work together to seamlessly synchronize selected files on the two computers and do so automatically. I continue to wonder how a software designer is able to create a product that so easily exchanges files between computers and yet Microsoft seems more adept at confusion and failure when it comes to their Networking capabilities. If Acronis can easily exchange files between two computers, why can't Microsoft Networking do the same? 

• Edited by Bond Shands Friday, September 14, 2018 2:32 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 2:25 AM
  • Nothing changed after implementing the suggested items. Also, IPCONFIG /ALL report for the Laptop continues to show NetBIOS over TCpip as Disabled.

As previously noted, I do not feel comfortable trying to manually update the network adapter device driver. The driver file I downloaded has more than 50 files in it. I think that rather than attempt to understand and implement it, I would simply to exhaust all other measures and then throw in the towel.

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:28 AM
  • Nothing changed after implementing the suggested items. Also, IPCONFIG /ALL report for the Laptop continues to show NetBIOS over TCpip as Disabled.

As previously noted, I do not feel comfortable trying to manually update the network adapter device driver. The driver file I downloaded has more than 50 files in it. I think that rather than attempt to understand and implement it, I would simply to exhaust all other measures and then throw in the towel.

Bring your computer to computer technicians they will solved your issue.

Momominta

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:33 AM
  • As you have reported that:

As I noted in my original post, I run copies of Acronis True Image 2018 Backup software on both computer. They work together to seamlessly synchronize selected files on the two computers and do so automatically.

I think you may find that my previous suggestion also works:

Finally have you tried to connect one computer to the other by typing \\192.168.1.xxx into the address bar of file explorer on one of the computers (replace xxx with the value from the IP address of the other computer)?

If so repeat with computer names (\\myotherpc) instead of IP addresses and see if that also works.

You should also find that normal network browsing with file explorer now also works between the two computers. You may have to repeat the process in future but it is a simple if slightly annoying way round the problem. Usually the system remembers the addresses or names after a while (enter \ or \\ in the address bar, wait a moment and a list of previously used addresses pops up).

Friday, September 14, 2018 10:47 AM
  • I tried all your suggestions. Nothing served to resolve the problem. I'm beginning to suspect there is no known solution other than a reinstallation of Windows 10. That's a step that will have to wait for more time availability.

Thanks for your help.

Friday, September 14, 2018 7:54 PM
  • I tried all your suggestions. Nothing served to resolve the problem. I'm beginning to suspect there is no known solution other than a reinstallation of Windows 10. That's a step that will have to wait for more time availability.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

In order to activate NetBIOS Over TCP/IP on Windows 10

I have told you to uninstall your realtek drivers and install a newest version. You can get it from realtek website.

Momominta

Friday, September 14, 2018 8:05 PM
  • I switched the Laptop to wireless connection and it's different device driver. It appears to have had no affect with respect to resolving the problems. And the NetBIOS over TC/IP continues to report Disabled.
    Friday, September 14, 2018 9:56 PM
  • I have successfully uninstalled and then installed latest Ethernet RealTech device drivers on both the Laptop and Desktop computers. It's made no difference in the IPConfig report about NetBIOS over TC/PIP being disabled on the Laptop. In fact, it is disabled whether connecting via Ethernet or Wireless. 

The many hours I've devoted to resolving the problem and seeing similar error messages over and over have left me questioning whether the problem is in Windows Defender or a similar security program. I run McAfee Livesafe on the laptop and Webroot Secure Anywhere on the Desktop. Have twice turned both Firewalls off for 15 minutes to see if that would resolve anything. It didn't. And, since I one computer can't access the other via browser using the Network assigned IP addresses, I continue to question whether the problem is related to Microsoft computer security applications.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Ok, the other option is to activate netbios over Tcpip hacking windows registry. Before doing that you can disable the network card then open this link below and follow the steps then restart your computer and enable network card.

Here is the link

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/d18bd172-e1a0-4a61-ba52-0952a1e3cabc/configuring-netbios-over-tcpip?forum=winservercore

Your security software can block your network but not your netbios

Try it will see if that can help solve your issue.

Momominta

Saturday, September 15, 2018 7:37 PM
  • I found seven Tcip entries under Interfaces. All showed NetbiosOptions as 0. I reset all 7 to 1. It appears to have made no difference for the configuration report continues to show Netbios as Disabled.
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:27 PM
  • I found seven Tcip entries under Interfaces. All showed NetbiosOptions as 0. I reset all 7 to 1. It appears to have made no difference for the configuration report continues to show Netbios as Disabled.

Ok, open device manager (winlogo+X)> click on view > click on show hidden devices> now expand network adapters> right click on each of the device then delete all of them but don't touch Bluetooth device.

Then restart your computer  all the device should be automatically  be re-installed.

Then open command propmt or Windows powershell then type IPCONFIG /ALL

take a look at the result if netbios over Tcpip is activated.

Momominta

Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:01 PM
  • If no changing open command prompt as administrator  then type

netsh winsock reset

Then hit enter key and reboot your computer. Take a look if netbios is activated or not.

Momominta

Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:07 PM
  • If nothing works, last think but you need to disable your security software in order to do it. Follow this link

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9afc0d50-08c7-44d7-a439-96119926962f/networking-problem?forum=win10itpronetworking

Momominta

Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:15 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. However, I've firmly concluded that I've wasted far too much time on what, in my opinion, is another Microsoft Windows failing that can't be resolved on my system. It's for that reason I've decided to discontinue further conversation on the subject.

Before closing, please accept my thanks for your time and suggestions towards a system resolution. Best wishes, Bond.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:28 PM
  • For me it is not waste of time when debugging your issue. My philosophy is: Never give up until we find the solution.

But I can't force you and anyway,have a good weekend.

Momominta

Saturday, September 15, 2018 9:36 PM