SharePoint (2010) drop down list takes forever to load the items of the list - Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

On our SharePoint, we have created a form.

This form is linked to an Excel sheet. This sheet has 4 fields. Unique Field is 'Topic' (text field)

The form has a 'Drop Down' list (i.e. Combobox)

This Drop Down list is linked to the unique record (i.e. Topic field) of the Excel sheet.

We want to populate the Combobox with all the 'Topics' and display the relevant other details on other fields (from excel).

Note- The excel have about 1385 records/rows.

It is taking 2 - 3 minutes for the Combo Box to populate the items of the Unique record (i.e. Topic field)

Q. Is there a way, that we can reduce this time? (So that the Combo box is populated quickly)

Please help!

Regards,

Chandra

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 5:10 AM

All replies

• What kind of form have you created that is using Excel as the data source? (ex. InfoPath) 

Further, why are you using Excel as the data source?

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Hi Chandra,

This is a performance issue cause by trying to load large number of objects from the Drop-Down list, and I don’t think we can reduce this processing time.

Try reducing the number of records/rows from the data source, or splitting the records into different Drop-Down lists. It might help to load the objects faster.

---

This “SharePoint 2010 - General Discussions and Questions” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 8:54 AM
  • Hi Chandra,

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer. 

It will do great help to those who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

In addition:

This forum will be locked down, if you need further assistance with this question, you can continue to post in here before 8/10/2020. It is recommended to create a new question on Microsoft Q&A, we will continue to support you on the new home.

Best regards,

Chelsea Wu

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, August 4, 2020 2:32 AM