Windows 7 X64 shuts down instead of going into sleep mode RRS feed

• Question

• I recently built a new computer using a SSD for the operating system. For the first month it worked perfectly using the default balanced power setting - that is, sleep mode after 30 minutes resuming on a keystroke or mouse movement. After 4/15/11 when the computer goes into sleep mode windows has closed unexpectedly and I get the Windows recovery screen. After selecting "start windows normally" windows starts and operates normally, but anything that was open is lost.

I made no changes to the BIOS or power settings.

There were a number of updates pushed out on 4/15 including Windows 7 service pack 1 for x64 and IE9. I also installed Outlook 2007 that day.

Tried resetting power mode to default, also tried power troubleshooter (said that screeen saver was on - fixed), no change.

What has changed and how do I fix it?

System is Windows 7 x64 Professional, Core I7-950, 12 GB RAM, Crucial C300 64 GB SSD (on Sata 6Gb), Asus Sabertooth X58 MB, Asus ATI 6850 Graphics card, 1TB SATA 6Gb Data Drive

Thanks

DLH

Friday, April 22, 2011 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hi DLH,

Thanks for the post!

Any related logs in your Event Viewer? Any error message? Please provide the detailed message with us.

Please enter into the Safe Mode, doesn the issue occur here? Also do a Clean Boot to determine the possible cause.

If the issue persists, please collect the minidump files to analyze the issue. Follow these steps:

1. Click Start, input sysdm.cpl in the search box, press Enter.

2. Switch to the Advanced tab and click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.

3. Under Write debugging information sectin, make sure the Small memory dump (128KB) option is selected.

4. Make sure %SystemRoot%\Minidump is in the Small dump directory open box and click OK.

If the issue appears again, please go to %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder, Zip the dumpfile and upload it to your SkyDrive in a public folder, then provide us a link here.

Regards,

Miya

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, May 6, 2011 6:23 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 3:28 AM