none
Project Server 2010: Save Project to Project Server explicitly denied doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Applies To: Project Server 2010.

I am trying to set user permissions here where the user should be able to see the projects according to his RBS. Moreover he should be able to see the Project Details but should not be able to edit it.

Working:

The user is able to see the project as per his RBS.

Not working:

When the user clicks on the project in the Project Center, he receives an error page.

Trial and Error:

I gave the user "Edit Project Summary Fields" permission and he is able to see the Project Details. However, he is able to edit the fields and save it. Hence, I explicitly denied "Save Project to the Project Server" to this user. However, he is still ale to open the project in the PWA, edit the summary fields and save it to the Project Server.

Help:

How to can I allow a user to see the projects details but he should not be able to edit it. Moreover why the explicitly denied permission isn't working.

Thank you and

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Monday, December 31, 2012 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi there--

Did you try with Open project permission?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197622(v=office.14).aspx

Open Project

Allows a user to open a project from the Project Server database in read-only mode using Project Professional. Grant this permission to any member of your organization who has to use the Open from Microsoft Project Server dialog box in Project Professional or in the Project Center in Project Web App to open projects that have been saved to the Project Server database. If users are not assigned the Save Project to Project Server permission, then the project will only be open in read-only mode.

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”. Thanks, Amit Khare |EPM Consultant| Blog: http://amitkhare82.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/amitkhare82

Monday, December 31, 2012 10:12 AM
  • Thank you Amit,

I have applied all the permissions a person requires to view the project.

Following are Allowed to the user:

• Open Project
    • View Project Schedule in Project Web App
    • View Project Summary in Project Center
    • View Project Schedule Views

I thought that explicitly denying the user on "Save Project to Project Server" will have an effect where a user will edit the project details but couldn't save it.

Tanzim Akhtar

Monday, December 31, 2012 10:22 AM
  • Hello Tanzim,

You can try using View Effective Rights tool from Project Server 2007 for Project Server 2010 to check the effective permission. Sometimes it does crashes but it does work and It will help you to find out exactly what permissions user in question has and user doesn't have.

You can try using View Effective Rights tool on the SQL Server. Try it multiple times, if it doesn't work for the first time.

Go through the below article to know more about it and download the tool from the link given in the article.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197528(office.12).aspx

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jignesh Thakkar

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Thank you Jignesh,

Well I have used View Effective Rights tool earlier and it was quite handy to know permissions of users as you mentioned. However, how could a user is able to Save Project to the Project Server even if he has been marked DENY.

"if a user is denied a specific permission, the deny setting supersedes any Allow settings that might apply to other groups to which the user belongs" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354%28v=office.14%29.aspx.

Tanzim Akhtar

Saturday, January 5, 2013 6:14 AM
  • Hi Tanzim,

I believe there is a confusion here between Group/User Deny permission and a Category Deny permission.

"Save Project to Project Server" is NOT a Group or User Level Permission, rather it is a Category level permission. Since it is NOT a Group or a user level permission and it is a Category level permission, therefore Deny impact will be restricted to that Category which the user belongs to and it wont be applicable to the Project Server across the board (unless it is configured).

For e.g. If a Test user belongs to My Tasks Category (directly or via any Group) and that category has a Deny permission (for test user) for "Save Project to Project Server", user will have Deny permission to all the Project Plans which belong to a specific Category.

Steps to try,

• Make sure that the Project Plan which user is trying to save is already a part of the Category where user has Deny Permission.
    • Or, make a user part of the My Organization (assuming it is not modified) and set Deny Permission. My Organization category has all the current and future Project Plans selected and hence it will have impact on all the Project Plan. This step is just for testing purpose. In this case Deny will take precedence over allow for all the Project Plans.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jignesh Thakkar

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Thank you Jignesh for your reply.

The user was assigned to Executive group and explicitly denied "Save Project to Project Server" permission.

My Organisation category

However you see that irrespective of groups or categories assigned, the least privilege will apply.

Tanzim Akhtar

• Edited by Tanzim Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:08 PM Image did not appear earlier
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:05 PM
  • Hi Tanzim,

Can also please share the details about how the 'PocMyOrgnization' Category has been configured, exactly same like I had shared the screenshots in my previous reply?

Regards,

Jignesh Thakkar

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:55 AM
  • My Organisation category

Tanzim Akhtar

Monday, January 21, 2013 6:16 AM