New Computer Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I've just recently built this computer with a Vista Home Premium x64 OS. The problem I continually have is that once I get it running, it will just freeze up. It has happened while playing a movie on the Blu-ray player, while attempting to play World of Warcraft, and at completely random times as well. It occasionally even restarts on it's own. I've tried just about everything I've ready about thus far. Those being...

1. Reinstall Vista with only 1 2gb stick of ram in and only after updating to SP1, installing the 2nd stick of ram. It recognized that I had 4gb installed, but it shortly thereafter, froze up. 

2. Modifying BIOS settings. 

3. Checking each of the 4 2gb sticks of ram that I have individually to ensure they all worked. 

At one point in time, it ran somewhat stable when I only had 2gb of ram installed, but it shortly became unstable and started doing the same freeze up that happened before. And when I say it freezes up, it just completely stops in it's tracks. The mouse pointer and everything on screen stops moving. No BSOD. Nothing. It just freezes up. 

I've had a friend of mine help me on this and he's baffled as well. I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I've downloaded all the drivers, flashed my BIOS, and prayed as well. So far, nothing has worked to make it stop freezing up. 

Help me, please. 

Here are my parts I purchased. 

Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

Model

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processo

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Video Card: PNY VCG86GTS5XWB-OC GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

HDD: Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive x2

Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:39 AM

All replies

• As an update to this, I downgraded to 2gb of ram. The problem still persists. That being the problem where the system freezes up. The video freezes onscreen. If there was any audio playing, the sound goes haywire (basically a loop of the last sound). 

This seems to happen regularly whenever I try to play anything on my blu ray player and whenever I try to install programs such as World of Warcraft. I really don't know what to do at this point. Should I just send the MOBO back along with the video and ram and get all new parts? Could it be the hard drive? 

Please, some help would be appreciated. 
    Sunday, April 6, 2008 3:15 AM