OEM tasks missing in device stage RRS feed

• Question

• this post is a part of an existing thread from Microsoft answers. this post was started at the request of the Sandeep V.

to view his and my responses please click here. please read it before making any suggestions.

I have a Toshiba laptop that i purchased in 2010. when i first got it, there were a number of tasks available for the device that represented my PC in devices and printers. but some time ago, im not sure when, these tasks disappeared. the only tasks left are the default MS tasks (browse disks and drives, hardware settings, system settings). the missing tasks are for "View all Toshiba models", "Laptop Repair, Product Update,"  and "Toshiba Accessories".

I have tried resetting all the items in the "DeviceMetaData" directory and having windows re-download the information. the information does get downloaded, and the generic laptop icon gets replaced with one that looks like my PC, but the missing tasks do not return. I tried using the device stage visual editor, and opening the DEVICEMETADATA-MS File that gets downloaded, and the missing tasks are shown as being there in the file. but they do not show up at all in the device that represents my PC. they used to show up when i first got my PC, but not anymore. the visual device stage editor seems to indicate that there is an issue with the files that get downloaded, but I lack the expertise to fix the error. a copy of the files that are installed by the Microsoft device stage servers onto my computer can be found here 

i tried contacting Toshiba support about the issue, but they said they couldn't help me with this issue, despite the fact i had paid extra for extended support for my laptop. does any one have any suggestions or fixes?

• Edited by Cybot Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:20 AM
    Saturday, May 4, 2013 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, I suggest you perform the system restore as Sandeep V suggested. 

Take the system restore and to go back to a previous status and check the result.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:44 AM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 8:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, I suggest you perform the system restore as Sandeep V suggested. 

Take the system restore and to go back to a previous status and check the result.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:44 AM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 8:55 AM
  • sorry for taking so long to reply. I can do system restores until i'm blue in the face, but that would not make a difference. these device stage files get to my computer by telling windows to "download driver software and realistic icons for your devices" in windows 7 'device installations settings' as I previously stated both on the Microsoft Answers Forum and here, the files come from Microsoft servers but are modified by Toshiba. I believe the issue is caused by a coding error in the files that reside on what ever MS server has the Device stage files. the items used to show up, and looking at the files that get downloaded with visual device stage editor shows that the entries for the missing items are there, but I lack the expertise to figure out why the items do not show up when I double click the item that represents my PC in devices and printers. the files that get downloaded to my PC from the MS device stage servers that contain the device stage information for my PC can be downloaded and examined from here https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=0FB6B5D18D0D968B&resid=FB6B5D18D0D968B%214229&authkey=AGTJBQJ3MTotClE

following a factory restore, the files do not exist on my PC, until I

1. connect to the internet and

2. tell windows 7 to "download driver software and realistic icons automatically"

it is at this point the files are downloaded to my pc

• Edited by Cybot Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:26 AM
    Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:19 AM
  • well now, NO files get installed for the icon that represents my laptop in Devices and Printers. this occurred a few weeks before the 8.1 preview became available.

a few useless files do get downloaded, but they are not what was being downloaded before. one of the files has this reference AppUp.IntelExperienceCenter . I am assuming that these files are meant to do something for newer Toshiba PC's but i'm guessing my PC doesn't have whatever software driver or hardware driver hooks.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:06 AM
  • who ever marked this issue as answered is a moron. this issue is not solved. following  only a repair install of windows 7, only a generic icon is shown for my PC in devices and printers. I tried doing a factory restore, but the files for device stage did not download like they used to. The files are apparently no longer present on the device stage servers.

• Edited by Cybot Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:52 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 12:48 AM
  • I can confirm that the files no longer reside on the WMIS servers. I managed to manually install a copy of the device stage files, with my internet connection turned (via wireless off switch) and when I reopened devices and printers, the laptop icon was showing the Toshiba icon and when you double clicked on the laptop a toshiba themed page opened up. but as soon as I turned on my internet, it reverted to what it was before, a generic icon for my laptop.

• Edited by Cybot Friday, September 4, 2015 2:38 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 1:48 AM
  • I had to go back to factory installed Windows 7 last week, and devices and printers will only retrieve the generic notebook icon  from the WMIS server. The files that were always retrieved remotely from the WMIS server, are no longer present. OR rather they have been replaced with a generic copy. Looking at the files there is reference to something called the "Device Metadata Authoring tool"

Friday, September 4, 2015 2:39 AM