none
Windows 10 1511 Bitlocker Hardware Encryption Error RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

As this query is related to Windows 10, I have moved this thread into Windows 10 forum so that you would get more efficient support.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 2:37 AM
  • There was a bug in windows 10 v1511 that prevented hardware-bitlocker to work. Since today, a new windows 10 version is out and ready for download: v1607. Install it and retry. It could be that you first need to secure erase your drive using the samsung software or another capable partitioner like parted magic before you install win10 v1607 on it.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Thanks Ronald,

It's still not working.

I've now tried Windows 10 v1607 and, since Samsung Magician is not available for my ThinkPad T460s, I used the ThinkPad "Drive Erase Utility for the Resetting the Cryptographic Key and the Erasing the Solid State Drive" utility, from the Lenovo site, as shown below.  Additionally, I've tried  pressing the "Load Drivers" button as part of the Windows Setup to load the Intel AHCI Storage drivers, mentioned in the original post.

{Missed the intermediate screenshot}

Here's the error I'm still getting:

C:\Windows\system32>cmd /k manage-bde -on "c:" -rp -fet Hardware -rk "d:"
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.14393
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume C: []
    [OS Volume]
    ERROR: An error occurred (code 0x803100b2):
    The drive specified does not support hardware-based encryption.

NOTE: If the -on switch has failed to add key protectors or start encryption,
    you may need to call "manage-bde -off" before attempting -on again.

C:\Windows\system32>

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:56 PM
  • Recheck in Samsung's tool that the feature "encrypted drive" is really (still) enabled:

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Let me check that.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Currently, I'm trying to confirm that the OPAL 2 Drive supports (a Samsung MZNTY256HDHP-000L7 SSD) supports IEEE1667, which is listed as a requirement on https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134356%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.
    Friday, August 26, 2016 6:59 PM
  • I'm having the same issue and I cannot use Samsung's software either.  Apparently it doesn't work with OEM devices.  Has anyone figured this out?  The drive clearly supports hardware encryption so why is bitlocker still confused?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Before I just throw the drive away and buy a real one :)
    Saturday, November 19, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Hi.

No one said he cannot use the Samsung software, yet. UFLRob said he was still "checking". What does your Samsung software show in the "data security" section? I mean, is it startable at all?

Monday, November 21, 2016 7:41 AM
  • Hi

I'm having exactly the same error, with SSD drive from Crucial (MX-300).

What can I do to in order to enable the hardware encryption? This is pretty frustrating!

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:19 PM
  • Hi MeYahoo.

Do you have access to the technical data of that drive? It needs to Opal 2.0 compliant.

Otherwise, you can use hardware encryption without bitlocker as well if your bios supports turning that on.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:06 AM