svchost.exe slowing down my system terribly RRS feed

• Question

• svchost.exe slowing down my system terribly. I ran the Kapersky program and no virus files came up. I am getting desperate. I am ready to kill my computer. Why is this process such a hog and how can I stop it?
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:17 PM

Answers

• To find what is causing your computer to use more CPU than it normally does you need to run this. 

Open a CMD prompt with administrative rights (right click it>run as admin) and run this command for 60 secs to capture the high cpu usage: 

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d cpuusage.etl

The trace will run and give you a warning then revert to a C:\ prompt

The log will be in C:\windows\system32.  It should be called cpuusage.etl

Please zip the file and upload it to skydrive (or another file sharing service) and put a link to it in your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:56 AM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

You can use Process Explorer to detect which process takes up high cpu or memory usage under svchost.exe. And then double click abnormal process. Under Thread tab, please check which thread is culprit, then suspend this thread.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:30 AM

All replies

• To find what is causing your computer to use more CPU than it normally does you need to run this. 

Open a CMD prompt with administrative rights (right click it>run as admin) and run this command for 60 secs to capture the high cpu usage: 

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout -1 && xperf -d cpuusage.etl

The trace will run and give you a warning then revert to a C:\ prompt

The log will be in C:\windows\system32.  It should be called cpuusage.etl

Please zip the file and upload it to skydrive (or another file sharing service) and put a link to it in your next post.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Hi,

You can use Process Explorer to detect which process takes up high cpu or memory usage under svchost.exe. And then double click abnormal process. Under Thread tab, please check which thread is culprit, then suspend this thread.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:30 AM
  • On a number of systems, svchost.exe was using GB of "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Other Bytes" on Windows 7 Pro and Home systems by different manufacturers.  The problem was resolved by disabling Superfetch.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:47 PM