none
IE 9 and IE 10 crash on close with faulting module MSVBVM60.dll (6.0.98.15) RRS feed

• Question

• When I close a specific web page from IE 10, it later crashes with message: 'Internet Explorer has stopped working'

Details from Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 10.0.9200.16660, time stamp: 0x51f1c5f3
    Faulting module name: MSVBVM60.DLL, version: 6.0.98.15, time stamp: 0x4a5bda6c
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0005f83d
    Faulting process id: 0x%9
    Faulting application start time: 0x%10
    Faulting application path: %11
    Faulting module path: %12
    Report Id: %13

Same issue is observed for IE 9.

Any help related to the possible cause, workaround or solution for this issue is appreciated.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 10:56 AM

All replies

• When I close a specific web page from IE 10, it later crashes with

Faulting module name: MSVBVM60.DLL, version: 6.0.98.15

Web page?  Looks like a Visual Basic app?  If this is something that you trust you may change your symptom by either marking the "web page" Trusted, setting Protected Mode: Off (temporarily) or elevating the Task to be run as an administrator.  The idea would be that your Visual Basic app would be being bitten by "security/obscurity".  Then you could run ProcMon to try to figure out what is really happening.  In fact, if you don't really trust that app you should do that first.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response.

To clarify things, actually it is a VB IIS Application and I am able to open the webpage, perform some operations and log off from the application with no issues with the functionality. But after I log off and then when I close the tab, the crash occurs.

Also the VB IIS Application has a reference to the MSVBVM60.dll

Thursday, September 5, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I'm having the same problem...IE 10 is crashing upon closing of a browser page hosting a vb6 activex control.  Were you able to resolve this?
    Friday, October 4, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the methods in the following article?

What to do when Internet Explorer stops working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-10

And did the issue solved?

If yes, could you share as with the solution.

Regards,

Ada Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 29, 2013 8:46 AM