none
Creating a master resource pool in Project Profesional 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Just purchased and installed Project Profesional 2013 on my work computer. I am trying to create a master resource pool, but according to the help info, I can only do this through Project Web App. I cannot find any information how to connect to this. My computer is connected to a server with more than 10 computers, but is the only one using PP. I am the administrator for this MS program (but not the network), so adding info is my task. I create and run multiple projects at the same time and would like to be able to create a master or enterprise list first. How do I connect to PWA or can this be done locally?

The MS on-line support chat has been of no help as they are not familiar with Project Profesional and their site keeps crashing.

Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:37 PM

All replies

• Vintage racer,

To use Project Web App, you will need to have Project Server and SharePoint Server installed, and configured. It is not clear from your post if you have Project Server installed or not.

If you only have one instance of Project Professional 2013 (and not project server), you cannot use PWA.

As an alternate scenario, You could still set up a master resource pool, but only users who have Project professional 2013 can use it. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/share-resources-using-a-resource-pool-HA010214871.aspx. This scenario does not need project server.

And finally, if you do not want to go through the trouble of installing and configuring project server, you might want to look into project online. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/enterprise-project-portfolio-management-in-the-cloud-project-online-FX103802026.aspx

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:54 PM
  • Prasanna,

Where do you get Project Server and Share Point Server? How do you tell if you are connected?

At this time there is only one instance of PP2013, but that may change.

The link that you provided "as an alternate scenario" does not tell how to create the master pool for PP2013. The comments for 2007 say to Build Team from Enterprise command on the Tools menu. I cannot find this on 2013.

Not having seen how the resource pool actually looks, I am envisioning something similar to Excel where I can have a master list of staff, materials, costs etc. that I can pull the information from. If I can see an actual example, I can figure it out. As I create project estimates all the time, I would like to be able to pull info for a project from a master list as a standalone, or have the option of using the resource pool to show the impact of running different projects simultaneously. I have created multiple linked Excel spreadsheets for doing this that work exceptionally well, but want to take the next step by using PP2013.

Thank you

Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:29 PM
    1. Installing Project server 2013 explained here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197280.aspx
    2. The article I mentioned, is trying to say thatIF you have an Enterprise Resource Pool (which is only possible if you have project server installed), THEN you can use the Build Team from Enterprise Dialog Box. If not you create a SHARER file, that will serve as the master Resource Pool. Please review the entire article for a complete understanding.

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Vintage Racer --

Create a new blank project and then apply the Resource Sheet view.  In this view, enter the names of all resources that might work in a project and then save the file using a name such as Company Resource Pool.  This is how to create a shared resource pool file.  After doing this, you will need to connect each project you create to the shared resource pool using the following steps:

1. Open the shared resource pool file.
    2. Create or open a project.
    3. Click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon.
    4. In the Assignments section of the Resource ribbon, click the Resource Pool pick list button and select the Share Resources option.
    5. In the Share Resources dialog, select the second Use Resources option, and make sure that the file listed in the From field is the shared resource pool file (it should be, as there should not be any other files open other than these two).
    6. Leave the Pool Takes Precedence option selected and then click the OK button.
    7. Save the project and then close it.
    8. Continue opening projects and connecting them to the shared resource pool file, then closing them when connected.
    9. Lastly, save and close the shared resource pool file.

From this point forward, every time you open one of the sharing projects, you will be prompted to open the shared resource pool file, which you should do.  And every time you save your project, the system will always prompt you to update the information in the shared resource pool file, which you should do as well.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:43 PM