unable to install XP Prof to a new HD RRS feed

• Question

• I had a HD fail with Windows XP on it.  When I go to rebuild it on a new HD;
       *  I reboot from the CD,
       *  Core files and drivers are copied from the CD to memory
       *  Windows starts; F* for the Lic agreement
       *  Previous Version CD requested to validate the Comp upgrade
       *  Microsoft XP Prof CD is replaced in the drive
       *  The 20 GB HD is partitioned and formated as NTFS
          *  Enter to start, setup examines the "disks" and files are being copied to the HD.
              After about 17% and the drivers.cab file is copied, I get the error message that setup cannot copy the file dskquoui.dll
              Pressing "enter" to retry will often recopy this file, but there are many others and many cannot be copied.  Pressing F3 to quit
              only begins to process over again.
        * I have tried replacing the CD drive with a new one but the symptoms remain the same.  The CD looks very clean and it is possble to copy all of the files to a HD. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

create a new 20 GB partition and reformat as NTFS
       Files are copied from the CD to the HD

Monday, August 31, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

• After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxpitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:00 AM

All replies

• Ive done that and just did it again with the same symptoms resulting.  Also I have used another CD to try and install XP Home with the same result.  Have also tried new cables and changing the IDE drives from master to slave.  The drive formats w/o error and I find that I can copy all of the files to it from any CD if I attach the drive via a USB cable to another computer.  The only comonality seems to be the computer on which the "drive" failed.  It is a home built with a Gigabyte GA-81G1000 MoBo.  Really strange, I'm about ready to give up and buy a new Dell.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 1:23 PM
  • After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxpitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:05 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:00 AM