IE suddenly will not work Feb 20 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• both IE 10 and IE 11 on separate laptops running Windows 7 , go into an infinite loop with the message "IE has stopped working" I cannot kill that message or IE or even kill IE it in task manager 

Saw a similar postings on another website blog just repored tonight Feb 20 2015

I think the browser had a Norton add on and Bing and Google toolbars. 

Cannot get into Internet Explorer to reset anything                      Any Ideas???

rebooting computer does not help either?

Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same here. Windows 8.1 with Norton Security from Comcast.
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:55 AM
  • I faced the exact same issue on my 3 computers with windows 7/8/8.1 since today.

Keeping this thread bookmarked for updates.

Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:22 AM
  • I'm having the same issues. Thought my home network was frivolously attacked at first. I tried system restore after getting out of the loop and IE started to load, Comcast's Norton updated itself back to today and IE did the loop again. So I've been watching to see if I could discover other reports of this. Thank you for the confirmation. W8 and 7 on a different machine. Also, of course.

• Edited by GemCutterTL Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:39 AM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Please see this thread.

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Monday, February 23, 2015 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:52 AM
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Hi Steverid,

Please review the thread shared by Vincenzo, follow the proposed reply to enable:

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options
    On the Advance tab, under group security enable these two Options
    "Enable 64 bit processes for enhanced protected mode"
    and
    "Enable enhanced protected mode"

Or you may check at the Norton side for further assistance.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:21 AM
  • Why does one need to enable Protected Mode if one does not require or desire it?

There are literally hundreds of reports that ms ie just stopped working in the past 72 hours.  This is yet another auto update bad code issue. 

Maybe, in this instance, it was Norton Symantec (which was a decent outfit before Peter Norton sold out).

But, fer crying out loud people, Turn Off Auto Update for anything you install.

For most, the best solution is probably to do a roll-back.  At least until a viable update for whatever caused the problem is available.  You did enable restore, right?

Gary

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:09 AM
  • Please see: "Internet Explorer crashes frequently when I have a Norton product installed on my computer".

Regards,

Vincenzo Di Russo
    Microsoft® MVP Windows Internet Explorer, Windows & Security Expert - since 2003.
    Moderator in the Microsoft Community and TechNet Forums
    My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:52 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 6:17 AM